Dry Skin?

zoey602

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon :)

My 18 month old Zoey started having unusual itching behavior about two months ago when the weather got cold enough to have the heat consistently on. Her tail would get twitchy and the skin on her lower back and at the base of her tail would twitch a lot as well (similar to how a horse's skin twitches when it's trying to shoo a fly). She would almost chase her tail and then run to her bed or the couch before settling down to lick those areas and then she would quiet down. She never excessively does it or does any chewing. This occurs maybe twice a day at most, and doesn't last very long at all. Other than this, she is as awesome as she usually is, and my other kitty has been fine.

My first thought was OMG FLEAS, so I took the fulminator and ran it through those areas. All I picked up was quite a bit of white flaky stuff, which I assume to be dandruff. I think her behavior is purely to do with dry skin from the cold dry weather in addition to the heat. Brushing does seem to aggravate it a little bit, though. Is there anything I can do to help her with this? She's already on an all-canned diet, but she does get one of those GNC hairball treats twice a day. It doesn't seem to be causing her stress, but I was curious if there was anything else I could do for her. I called the vet and they said there wasn't much I could do other than a steroid injection, but I don't think her situation is that severe.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie suffered from greasy fur and dandruff, so l changed the kibbles over to Royal Canin skin and fur and there's a huge change in her. She gets brushed every other day as well, and that's made her fur a lot softer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoey602

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip! I'll definitely give that a try. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I keep a humidifier on to keep the rooms from getting too dry. It helps my cats

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie often gets dry flaky skin in winter when he lies above a radiator most of the day. You could try giving Zoey a little salmon oil (Omega 3). You pierce one 500 mg. capsule and squeeze the oil over her food once a day. Your vet may also have another Omega 3/Omega 6 supplement for hair and skin (s)he can recommend.