Dry Food

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by generic war

Mecha eats both wet and dry, mostly whiskas dry food and random wet food because she likes a change.
I was told by a supposed vet (say supposed purely because you never know online) that dry is just as good for cats as long as they have access to clean water all the time (it's also good for their teeth apparently)
I feed mecha dry because she loves it, she refuses to eat ALOT of wet foods (won't touch any loaf style foods, they have to be gravey / puree ish) and accepts any dry cat food I give her as food and yummy.
I don't think it's bad for them though because most cats I know eat dry food and are okay
I feel pretty good about dry food as long as it is specially formulated to promote urinary tract health (my baby got a nasty UTI a couple years ago, and I would like to avoid a repeat). I also mix in some Friskies Dental Diet, and my vet says it is doing good things for his teeth, so I do think there is something to the theory that dry food can help with dental issues.

I tried to do the wet-food thing, and it worked for a few days, but then my cat decided the novelty had worn off, so I've given up on that experiment.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I don't think dry food is as bad as what some sites make it out to be. Most cats are fed dry only and cats life expectancy has increased dramactically over the years. There have not been any scientific studies compairing dry, wet, and raw fed cats.

I feed mostly dry but I also feed wet and cooked meat as treats. Dry because the cost is considerably lower than wet, it is much more convenient, and there is much less wasted. Also one of my cats throws up wet food a lot.
Actuarally I know of at least one scientific study were they compare commercial catfood with raw food (ground rabbit only). You can read a summary here.

Back to track... I usually raw feed my cats, but I'm introducing dry food now since I'm going away on vacation and it's simply not possible to have the caretaker of my cats feeding raw so it's for practical reasons only. Once I get back home again I'll switch to raw again.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to feed my cats all premium quality wet, but the fact of the matter is that they won't eat it. The only wet they'll eat at all reliably is Fancy Feast, so they get that, in order to get some wet (and every so often I try a few varieties of premium stuff, to see if their opinion has changed -never), they free feed on Orijen, which they love, to get some high quality stuff into them.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by generic war

Mecha eats both wet and dry, mostly whiskas dry food and random wet food because she likes a change.
I was told by a supposed vet (say supposed purely because you never know online) that dry is just as good for cats as long as they have access to clean water all the time (it's also good for their teeth apparently)
I feed mecha dry because she loves it, she refuses to eat ALOT of wet foods (won't touch any loaf style foods, they have to be gravey / puree ish) and accepts any dry cat food I give her as food and yummy.
I don't think it's bad for them though because most cats I know eat dry food and are okay
I feed Blossom both wet & dry. I get the better supermarket brands. Mostly Purina One although sometimes I give her California Natural dry. I've read a few articles on why cats should only be fed wet food. Dry isn't good for their teeth because they mostly don't chew it. Starting out with a new kitten I think raw meaty bones would be better for their teeth.

hostyle420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
umm...it's cheaper...and my cat doesn't eat wet food...last couple of times i gave him some wet food he licked all the juice out and left the food

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed dry to Pepper because she is a kitten and like to have food available to her 24/7. We have been incorporating some wet, but I am pretty sure I will always feed dry food

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a good day I can get Gizmo to eat a little bit of wet, but that isn't often. It was costing a small fortune buying all the canned food that he just wouldn't eat so he's mostly on a dry food diet now.

In the morning sometimes I'll put a small amount of his dry food in his bowl then add some water to it. When I first tried this I was certain he wouldn't eat it but he laps it right up every time. At least this way he get a some extra water and I don't feel as bad about feeding only dry.