Dry food Storage

G

ghostuser

I've gone to vacuum-sealing plastic containers for everyone's food since noticing that the rat's newer lab blocks would change colors left in the tin I had always used for their food, but were fine left in their resealable bag. So I've got quite the collection now... one for the rats, one for the cats, and two for the dogs since Perky eats something different than the family's dogs.. They weren't too terribly expensive at Petsmart.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can keep it pretty fresh in a plastic storage bin. You can tell if it's gone stale--it'll be softer and the pieces will stick to each other. That's when it's time to throw out the rest. Nowadays, I buy 12 pound bags for my two cats, and that never happens before they've eaten it. But I feed nearly all dry--possibly cats who eat wet and dry will go through theirs more slowly.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, I usually buy no more than 18lbs at a time, so I probably store it a couple of months at most. I have a plastic storage container and I bought a "Smart Cap" for any bags too big to fit in the plastic container. I love this thing, I bought two of them at PETCO...I use one for bags of wheat litter, the other for food: