Dry Food For Senior Kitty With Sensitive Teeth

christinab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is about 15 years old. She gets Wellness grain free wet food 2 times a day, but only eats a little at a time. If the wet food gets left out she loses interest in it and it goes to waste. However when I come home she is crying that she is hungry so I am looking for a dry food to leave for her to eat while I am at work. I was feeding Royal Canin Mature 10+ she was able to eat it and was having no issues. It had a softer kibble that was easy on her teeth. However they changed the food, the ingredients are completely different(corn is now first ingredient) and now its advertised as being for cats 7+. She throws up when eating it now. I've tried several other foods included Wellness grain free, but I guessing the kibbles are too hard and hurt her teeth because she will eat a few and then refuse any more. She has always been lean, and is getting skinnier as she gets older, so I want to make sure she can eat whenever she is hungry.

Are there any other dry foods for kitties with teeth problems? Maybe even something grain free?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wouldn't it be better, even at her age, to get her a dental if she's got teeth problems. Teeth problems can lead to other serious health issues. If I were you, I'd take her in to the Vet to have her checked out.

As far as special foods, I'm not aware of dry foods that are specifically softer for seniors that don't contain corn. However, you could try freezing her wet food, then leaving that out when you go to work. It will thaw and she can nibble on that once it's come down to a reasonable temperature.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Moisture is so important to cats, even more so with seniors. So is higher protein in canned food good for seniors to prevent the "skinny old cat" look. I'd smear the canned food into ice cube trays, so you can give her a little block to eat while you're out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she has an appointment coming up and they will be checking her teeth, she's had a few removed in the past. I don't mind corn being an ingredient, but it seems corn being the main ingredient doesn't sit well with her stomach. I hate when companies change their formulas, she was doing great with the Royal Canin. The freezing thing is great idea thanks. I already freeze cat sure in an ice cube tray and give her that a few times a week and she loves it.