Dry Food For Persians

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyway i just went into several pet store this morning... these are what i can find which only contains chicken/beef

Hope something is there for my Persians, looking forward to your suggestions

IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG
IMG_5471.JPG
IMG_5472.JPG
IMG_5476.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5473.JPG
IMG_5474.JPG

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bump! Hello all i am still waiting for your suggestions/recommendations on the canned food for my persians

Thank you very much guys for the time spent!!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, not a very good selection of choices you have there. To be honest, I wouldn’t feed any of those myself but if they are the only choices you have for wet food I’d say probably the essential waitrose and snappy tom chicken with beef liver seem to have high amounts of protein. How confident do you feel about the sourcing of the meat that goes into these products? Maybe only feed this once a day and add lots of extra water to it to make sure your cat is well hydrated. If your cat eats their dry food right away you could add water to that too. You just can’t let it sit out for a long time wet.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, not a very good selection of choices you have there. To be honest, I wouldn’t feed any of those myself but if they are the only choices you have for wet food I’d say probably the essential waitrose and snappy tom chicken with beef liver seem to have high amounts of protein. How confident do you feel about the sourcing of the meat that goes into these products? Maybe only feed this once a day and add lots of extra water to it to make sure your cat is well hydrated. If your cat eats their dry food right away you could add water to that too. You just can’t let it sit out for a long time wet.
Oh dear lol that doesnt sound very convincing and i dont want to risk my cat’s health over such foods, how many percent protein should i look into that meets the right criteria to be considered as good? And i provided water bottle next to my cat foods and they usually drink it after every bite

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I’m sorry. The labels are just super unclear and most include artificial ingredients or fish.

I compute the percentage of total calories from protein, fat, and carbs by using the values on the label.

Multiply the protein amount by 3.5.
Multiply the fat amount by 8.5 (fat is more dense).
Multiply the carb amount by 3.5 (if it’s not listed on the label, subtract all listed values by 100 and the remainder should give you an estimate of the amount of carb).

Then total the values and see what proportion of the total calories is made up by each value.

For example, the essential waitrose food would be:

Protein = 8x3.5 = 28
Fat = 4x8.5 = 38.25
Carbs = 100-8-4-.5-3-82.5 = 2x3.5 = 7

28+38.25+7= 73.25

So, the percentage of calories from each source are:

Protein: 28/73.25= 38%
Fat: 38.25/73.25 = 52%
Carb: 7/73.25 = 10%

You want to ideally have high protein (over 50%), moderate fat (30-40%) and low carb (less than 10%).

These values are pretty decent for a wet food though (it’s really rare to find one with over 50% protein). So, my concern with this food is not really the nutrient amounts but the sourcing of the ingredients. I think it should be fine to feed as a supplement to the dry food though. Although it’s not an ideal choice of ingredients, I would still recommend feeding it maybe once a day at least because it’s important for water intake.

Also, the thing about water is that you want your cat to get moisture from their food. Even if they drink water they won’t drink as much as they need because cats are desert animals that are designed to obtain moisture from their food. That’s why wet food is so important.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah ok so once a day is it okay? So which one should i go with?

Snappy tom would be easier to find than waitrose though..

If i want to make my own from chicken breast... do i have to feed it everyday as well? I dont mind if its only once a week

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I think the snappy Tom chicken with beef liver is fine too.

If you only feed chicken breast it would be considered a treat because breast on it’s own doesn't have enough nutrients to be considered a complete meal. You can’t substitute it for a meal. If you want to make your own food using breast you’ll have to use a reputable recipe or buy a complete supplement to add to the chicken, I’m not sure if these are available where you live. For more information on making your own food you can go to the raw and home cooked sub forum here, or check out catinfo.org or feline-nutrition.org for recipes.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the snappy Tom chicken with beef liver is fine too.

If you only feed chicken breast it would be considered a treat because breast on it’s own doesn't have enough nutrients to be considered a complete meal. You can’t substitute it for a meal. If you want to make your own food using breast you’ll have to use a reputable recipe or buy a complete supplement to add to the chicken, I’m not sure if these are available where you live. For more information on making your own food you can go to the raw and home cooked sub forum here, or check out catinfo.org or feline-nutrition.org for recipes.
Oh i thought that was simpler.. but nvm then ill try the snappy tom.. theres a sachet type of wet food but that is very expensive if i am to treat them daily and i dont know how good they are too

Thank you very much for your advice