Dry Food For Persians

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi i have 7 Persian Cats and i have been having and loving them for almost 4 years,

Now they are all adults at least 1 year old, that's the youngest.. so my question here is:

I am always concern about their healthy in their food intake. So far they are super healthy as they usually are.. but reading and hearing poeple's comments on the websites/forums sometimes trigger me..

Here in my country, Brunei, is very hard to find quality branded foods as mostly mentioned in this forum.. be it Dry/Wet

So my main concern is.. I only feed them once per day, and their food is the combination of:

1. Royal Canin Persian Adult;
2. Royal Canin Persian Kitten; and
3. Royal Canin Hair and Skin

So if i only want to stick with only Royal Canin Persian Kitten, is this gonna be okay? as i read somewhere that Kitten kibbles mostly have the most nutrients, if that is okay im gonna invest on the 10kg pack

I gave them Wet Food once a while but i really want to offer something more beneficial and yet affordable wet food for them if theres any

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each of those foods is nutrionally balanced. Like designed to give them their daily necessary nutrition.

It would be better if you could also give wet food daily. At least one can a day. Cats may not eat all 80-85 grams of wet food at one sitting. You can split and give one half in the morning, the other half in the evening. Try to add like one dessert spoon of extra water. Cats are not good at drinking enough water and dry food itself is dehydrating.

You can try Royal Canin wet foods. I suggest making the dry food and wet food different tough. Like if you give Royal Canin Persian dry food, maybe for wet try Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for the prompt reply, so you are suggesting to keep the combination of those 3 instead of just one royal canin persian kitten?

I would love to give them wet food daily, but the choices available here quite limited, and do you mean one can for all 7 cats? that wont b enough.

previously i used to give them this --> Brit Care Cat Chicken & Cheese KITTEN Pouch – Britbut its hardly available now.

I will try to take as many picture of canned food that i can find and show it to everyone here hoping that theres atleast one i can give them daily

Anyway, if you can help looking at this list --> NIMANJA

its one of our local store, maybe theres something that is good for my persians?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for the prompt reply, so you are suggesting to keep the combination of those 3 instead of just one royal canin persian kitten?
I think only one would be better. Like A Azazel said you don't have to buy food advertised for Persian cats. If you use all three different Royal Canins they might get tired of the taste of all. If you use only one, then you can try another flavor if they get sick of the old one.

I would love to give them wet food daily, but the choices available here quite limited, and do you mean one can for all 7 cats? that wont b enough.

previously i used to give them this --> Brit Care Cat Chicken & Cheese KITTEN Pouch – Britbut its hardly available now.
Brit Care is a nice brand too. I get their pouch wet food every now and then to my own cat as well.

ay, if you can help looking at this list --> NIMANJA
I just did. GimCat, beaphar, Hill's are all nice brands. I use Kit Cat's Purr Puree treats and never had a problem. I would try their wet food/toppers as well.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don’t have to feed a Persian cat “Persian” labelled foods. This is just a marketing ploy. They have the same nutritional needs as all cats, high animal protein, low carb, and high moisture.
Thank you.. since you said it that way, i noticed that their favourite among the 3 is the Hair & Skin, so is it gonna be fine if i just serve Hair & Skin only? if thats the case tomorrow i will purchase the 10kg pack of Royal Canin Hair & Skin

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think only one would be better. Like A Azazel said you don't have to buy food advertised for Persian cats. If you use all three different Royal Canins they might get tired of the taste of all. If you use only one, then you can try another flavor if they get sick of the old one.

Brit Care is a nice brand too. I get their pouch wet food every now and then to my own cat as well.

I just did. GimCat, beaphar, Hill's are all nice brands. I use Kit Cat's Purr Puree treats and never had a problem. I would try their wet food/toppers as well.
Ahhh thank you very much for your time, I will check it out tomorrow then, for the Kit Cat 400g canned food is that also okay? since its 400g it can feed all of them... but im still waiting for your advice

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh thank you very much for your time, I will check it out tomorrow then, for the Kit Cat 400g canned food is that also okay? since its 400g it can feed all of them... but im still waiting for your advice
I think it's worth to try and see if they like it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding any wet food? I would recommend adding some wet feedings to supplement the dry. You can feed different varieties of wet food too. It's actually recommended to feed different foods (including different brands) so that they get different nutrients and also in case a brand or flavor is ever discontinued.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding any wet food? I would recommend adding some wet feedings to supplement the dry. You can feed different varieties of wet food too. It's actually recommended to feed different foods (including different brands) so that they get different nutrients and also in case a brand or flavor is ever discontinued.
I did, from Brit brand but they always ran out of stock... im worried to try brands afraid that the quality of the item may affect their health

We have waitrose brand here as well but i dont know if they are good, that is why im asking for advices on the brands

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I did, from Brit brand but they always ran out of stock... im worried to try brands afraid that the quality of the item may affect their health

We have waitrose brand here as well but i dont know if they are good, that is why im asking for advices on the brands
Sorry, I'm not familiar with those brands. Do you have links to their websites or pages that list the ingredients? I can have a look for you.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you well here it is

Waitrose & Partners

And also this is what our local petstore have as well

NIMANJA
Hmm, it's hard to tell with these. The ingredient lists are vague and the first one doesn't list the amount of protein in the food, unless I missed it somewhere. I think they would be fine to feed once in a while. Do you have Royal Canin wet food there? You could feed one kind of dry food and then give them maybe 2 measl of wet food a day, rotating between different brands of wet to make sure they're getting different nutrients.

I also noticed that lots o these foods have fish. If you can, it's best to only feed these on occasion and try to stay away from too much fish.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, it's hard to tell with these. The ingredient lists are vague and the first one doesn't list the amount of protein in the food, unless I missed it somewhere. I think they would be fine to feed once in a while. Do you have Royal Canin wet food there? You could feed one kind of dry food and then give them maybe 2 measl of wet food a day, rotating between different brands of wet to make sure they're getting different nutrients.

I also noticed that lots o these foods have fish. If you can, it's best to only feed these on occasion and try to stay away from too much fish.
See that is why im so afraid to treat them wet food, the choices here quite limited

One thing i note is to stay away from fishes, ill try to take pictures of canned food tomorrow which contains chicken or beef and ill share it here for your advice, hope you can help :)

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry forgot to answer, no we dont have any royal canin wet food here, only the dry ones

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
See that is why im so afraid to treat them wet food, the choices here quite limited

One thing i note is to stay away from fishes, ill try to take pictures of canned food tomorrow which contains chicken or beef and ill share it here for your advice, hope you can help :)
That's a good idea. Happy to have a look once you post it.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. Happy to have a look once you post it.
Cool thank you ill post it up tomorrow until i found something better as per your advice

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing my cats seem to appreciate is when I have pre-soaked their dry food, so that it is all soft & easy to chew & swallow ... much like canned food. They get more water that way, and, I think they digest their food better that way, too! I use more than enough water to re-hydrate the dry food, so they don't get dehydrated.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
One thing my cats seem to appreciate is when I have pre-soaked their dry food, so that it is all soft & easy to chew & swallow ... much like canned food. They get more water that way, and, I think they digest their food better that way, too! I use more than enough water to re-hydrate the dry food, so they don't get dehydrated.
If they eat the food right away that’s fine but leaving wet dry food out will quickly cause bacteria growth.

eviliony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for the suggestion im not really into adding water, afraid that it will become messy and spoil the foods