Dry food for a cat that has lost interest in it...

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old boy has suddenly lost interest in dry food of almost any type. Now I just had his teeth checked and the vet thought it was fine. He is eating wet food and, if I make him, he will eat the dry. The problem is that I have to back to work and he is hungry and I can't be there all the time to give him wet food.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a dry food that is kind of known to taste amazing. I was thinking of trying kitten food. I just keep having to buy food that he seems to get sick of.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is using a programmable timed feeder for the canned food not an option?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is using a programmable timed feeder for the canned food not an option?
I would prefer not to. I worry the food will go bad. And I am not sure my cat will eat it properly. Even when I am here he does things like eat 3/4th of it and then go back to it like 6 hours later. Just seems like dry food is the better option to tide him over.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (17+ yo) stopped eating dry a few years back and there is no dry food in the world, IMO, that is she ever going to eat. I also leave Feeby's canned food out for hours and hours, before worrying about it going bad. I usually consider 8 hours as safe.

Tbh, dry food getting contaminated is actually a bigger possibility due to a cat eating some of the food, leaving behind saliva in the food not eaten which can then break down that food and pave the way for contamination.

There are either timed or motion-activated feeders that you could use that have a base below to place ice or cool water to help keep the canned food from getting contaminated. The lid will keep the food from drying and if you get one that is motion-activated your cat can eat whenever he wants because his body movement will open the lid. Here are some examples.
Best 5 Automatic Cat Feeders For Wet Foods In 2022 Reviews (petfeederexpert.com)

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tbh, dry food getting contaminated is actually a bigger possibility due to a cat eating some of the food, leaving behind saliva in the food not eaten which can then break down that food and pave the way for contamination.
Ohh that might be a factor. It does seem he is happy to eat just about any food at first, and then, he doesn't seem to want it. Since it is in a feeder.. he might have tried some of it and then not eaten it all. And of course.... I am just putting it back and trying to get him to eat what is already there.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I got him Meow Mix Kitten food. I threw out all the other food and washed the dish. And, at the moment, I think I created a monster.
Not only has he eaten it all... he just came over to me... and meowed at me.... for more.

I don't think he has done that since he was a kitten.

I did get him a high calorie gel that he completely rejected and wouldn't even tolerate in mixed in wet food.

But he seems to like dry food and then gets sick of it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old boy has suddenly lost interest in dry food of almost any type. ...

I am wondering if anyone knows of a dry food that is kind of known to taste amazing. I was thinking of trying kitten food. I just keep having to buy food that he seems to get sick of.
Usually a dry food with a touch of fishy-ness about it is a hit with most cats. I use Addiction brand's "Salmon Bleu" as a training treat for my cat. She goes bananas for it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But he seems to like dry food and then gets sick of it.
Also, take into consideration what I said before about dry food. You got him a new bag of food and he is loving it - until it gets 'older'. So, another thing to think about is that he will tire of any dry food over time, and you may have to buy multiple bags and look into how to freeze them to preserve them.

Seems a lot simpler to find a way to feed him canned food with the suggestions mentioned above, don't you think?