Dry Food - Does Flavor Matter?

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought dry food with taste beef,poultry and peas, as a tryout for my cat. She showed some interest, but after she gave birth she doesn't want it. Does flavor matter? I was thinking between fish,spinach and peas and beef,poultry&peas so I chose the latter, because she likes meat :). She is used to eat only cooked food from the leftovers, and I thought to change it up with healthier dry food. What's ur suggestion?
Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just picky with flavor, my Charlie won't touch anything containing tuna.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
but I was giving her all the time chicken, pork, beef. She likes any kind of meat. Maybe it is just temporary because she gave birth 2 days ago.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
P plisskenzorro
Since your cat has kittens, it would be best if you could feed her canned kitten food, if your budget permits.

If possible, nursing moms should get 1-3 cans of kitten food each day, dry food out all the time for her to graze, and kitten milk replacement (KMR) once a day. KMR is available in several brands, and most are good quality except Hartz.

Feeding mom all these foods gives her the best nutrition so her milk will be best for her kittens.

You said she only eats cooked leftovers as her normal food? That's not a complete diet for cats. Cats require taurine for good health, and taurine is added to cat foods. Feeding kitten food right now is very important, as your queen has gone through her pregnancy with an unbalanced diet. The kittens need the minerals and taurine through her milk as soon as possible so they grow up healthy.

I believe cooked meats should be no more than 20% of a cat's diet, so she gets the required vitamins and minerals from cat food. Garlic and onions are toxic for cats, so your foods may be even more of a problem for her long term.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with foxden foxden 's very good advice!

Kittens need taurine for neural development, and it is added to wet food and kitten chow. Mom needs tons of extra calcium while nursing too, which is why a dish of kitten formula a day is helpful.

You can continue to supplement her diet with the meat table scraps if you'd like, but she needs dry food 24/7, 2-3 cans of meat based wet food, and fresh water daily.

Does she like the wet food you've purchased for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot guys! I am giving her other food, like fish and meat from leftovers and yoghurt as well. I am giving her cow milk once a day like 50-100ml. I know it is not good, but that's what she is eating now. In a couple of days I think she will be eating her regular food. For wet cat food, I am no near a pet shop now and live in a town where no petshop is available. I hope the food I bought, will be eaten by the kittens in a couple of months :). I will try to buy different flavors from the petshop next time :)

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to goat's milk?
That's better for cats than cow's milk.

You're doing well with the resources you have available.