Dry food choices for CRF cats

lucky luke

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thus far Sasha's tried 2:

Hill's Prescription K/D Sasha hates it...though Tiggy seems to like it; go figure
I must admit the smell of that food really reeks, the smell just grabs you as soon as you open the bag.

Medi Cal Prescription Low Protein: Sasha seems to like this one better, once again go figure; since it seems to be pretty grain-heavy. On the other hand it has added vitamins.

I was supposed to get a few more samples before choosing a dry food to compliment the Hi Tor canned...

Any recommendations?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Keep in mind I am not a vet nor have I had a cat with CRF... but there is also Purina NF Kidney Function, Royal Canin Renal LP 21, Iams Multi-Stage Renal Veterinary Formula.
My cats LOVED the Purina NF canned kidney food (before they changed the formula - now they hate it!) They also liked the NF dry food for treats. I don't know if they changed that formula or not. Now my cats eat the Royal Canin LP canned pate' style and sliced style, and absolutely love it. Royal Canin makes a dry version of LP(chicken flavor & pork flavor), but I haven't tried it yet. My girls just get a little Hills k/d dry for treats right now, and they seem to think it's great, because I dole it out about 8 kibbles at a time for a treat. (The bag lasts a long time!)

I wasn't particularly impressed by the Iams Multi Stage Renal canned food, so I never tried the dry version.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

The OP lives in Toronto Ontario - Purina NF is not sold in Canada any longer due to some ingredient issue. The others you mentioned are still available though.
RC is usually well recieved

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a really picky cat who was diagnosed with CRF, and she didn't like the prescription foods and I didn't like them much either...

We ended up using this webpage (the 'old' verson) to find a good quality food with lower protein/phosphorus levels:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dry.htm

This was a while ago, so I think the foods have changed since then but after trying different foods to find out what she'd even eat, what we ended up using was Wellness Super5mix Lite which I think has a different name and possibly formula now... She did great on that and we were able to get her kidney values down to normal and stay at or near normal most of the time on that food.
I also used canned food, I used the same website to look for good possibilities. She was really picky and would sometimes like a canned food the first time (or first and second) and then hate it after that so I ended up making a list of the foods we tried and whether she ate the food the first, second, and third times I offered it.

This site also lists some different foods:
http://www.felinecrf.org/dry_food_usa.htm