Dry Food Always Out

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens that are 9 months old. Currently I'm feeding them dry only food that equals 1/3 cup divided into two meals a day for each kitten.
My question is it a good idea to keep dry food out at all times and then feed them wet food twice a day?
I'm worried that doing this will make them gain to much weight.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't disagree with what Willowy says since kittens really do need lots of calories BUT if you're around during the day and can start feeding more wet food sooner, that's all the better since growing cats (and many grow far longer than just their first year) need lots of meat-based protein. Some cats also get very attached to their dry food -- our cats preferred dry food when we adopted them at ten months so I'm glad we weaned them off it sooner rather than later, when they were about eleven months old.

No matter what you choose to do, it's great that you're already thinking about this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't disagree with what Willowy says since kittens really do need lots of calories BUT if you're around during the day and can start feeding more wet food sooner, that's all the better since growing cats (and many grow far longer than just their first year) need lots of meat-based protein. Some cats also get very attached to their dry food -- our cats preferred dry food when we adopted them at ten months so I'm glad we weaned them off it sooner rather than later, when they were about eleven months old.

No matter what you choose to do, it's great that you're already thinking about this!

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not home during the day because I work. That's why I was thinking of the wet in the morning and evening.
The problem is my vet only likes dry food and no wet food at all. She says wet food is full of fat and puts to much weight on them. I've used this vet for 25 years with my passed two cats. I used to keep out the dry food all day for my passed two cats but give them 1/4 can wet only in the evening. They each lived 17 and 18 years.
I'm so confused what I should do this time around.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not home during the day because I work. That's why I was thinking of the wet in the morning and evening.
The problem is my vet only likes dry food and no wet food at all. She says wet food is full of fat and puts to much weight on them. I've used this vet for 25 years with my passed two cats. I used to keep out the dry food all day for my passed two cats but give them 1/4 can wet only in the evening. They each lived 17 and 18 years.
I'm so confused what I should do this time around.
Your vet is mistaken. Dry food is full of carbs which cats don’t process properly. They do much better with fat than carbs. Also, dry food is low in animal protein. Cats are obligate carnivores and need a diet of high animal protein to thrive, not carbs. They also need high moisture in their food as they have low thirst drives and are meant to obtain water from raw meat in the wild. Canned food is better all around. It’s higher in animal protein and moisture and lower in carbs.

It’s fine to leave dry out for kittens if you can’t be around during the day but as they get older and can do with fewer feedings you might consider freezing wet food and using a timed feeder. Many people on this site do that.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fat does not cause weight gain, in cats or humans. Eating too many calories and carbs however do.

A cat thrives on a high animal protein, moderate fat, and low carb diet, which is what many canned foods are. They also provide valuable moisture. In comparison, dry food tends to be lower in animal protein, fat, and mositure,but high in carbs.

Carb energy burns quickly, and is used immediately or stored as fat. Fat and protein take longer to convert into energy so less is stored as fat.

What we know about cat needs has changed SO much in 25 years. You don't have to agree with your vet about diet. Do your own research and decide.

Jasmine was overweight for a decade before I switched her to mostly canned food. Once I made the switch, she lost the weight and was like a kitten again! She lived to 17.

Wet in the morning and evening is fine, even without dry in between. I leave 2 tbsp of dry out for Lydia to snack on overnight so I get more sleep LOL

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify... although many adult cats do fine on only 2 wet feedings a day, I wouldn’t do that with a kitten. They are growing, need lots of calories, and can only eat so much at once.

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fat does not cause weight gain, in cats or humans. Eating too many calories and carbs however do.

A cat thrives on a high animal protein, moderate fat, and low carb diet, which is what many canned foods are. They also provide valuable moisture. In comparison, dry food tends to be lower in animal protein, fat, and mositure,but high in carbs.

Carb energy burns quickly, and is used immediately or stored as fat. Fat and protein take longer to convert into energy so less is stored as fat.

What we know about cat needs has changed SO much in 25 years. You don't have to agree with your vet about diet. Do your own research and decide.

Jasmine was overweight for a decade before I switched her to mostly canned food. Once I made the switch, she lost the weight and was like a kitten again! She lived to 17.

Wet in the morning and evening is fine, even without dry in between. I leave 2 tbsp of dry out for Lydia to snack on overnight so I get more sleep LOL
How

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is a good brand of wet food for them? They are 9 months now. Also what is a good amount of food in the morning and for dinner.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out catinfo.org on the section of feline nutrition. This is a vetetinarian's website by the way.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is a good brand of wet food for them? They are 9 months now. Also what is a good amount of food in the morning and for dinner.
That's so hard to answer :) it depends on your budget, what your cat likes, and what they do well on!

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat is a great resource for info about foods.

As far as how much, I try to feed 1 can or about 3 oz in the AM and PM. Which is about 160 to 200 calories a day total. So it can depend on the food and how much your cats need

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
At 9 months they are still growing too so they need to be fed more than a typical adult cat.

Catlover952000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the valuable advice. I decided that I will feed them the dry food in the morning and wet food in the evening. I think for my two babies this is the right way to go.