Dry Food Addicting

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthie70

Every week I buy various premium foods - I would say I have tried about 80% of those that are available, have been doing it for a couple of years - but they all, without exception, go in the garbage.
If it's dry or unopened cans don't throw it away, see if a local shelter will take the food. No use wasting good food if there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm just glad my boys aren't picky, the only thing they will not eat is chunks/cuts and gravy style wet.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

Fancy Feast is not a good brand.
That depends on who you ask.
I don't want to come off as argumentative, I just want to share what I know. I have a kitty with crystal issues and I contacted a respected holistic vet about the situation 'cuz I am not going to feed my cat a "prescription diet" for the rest of his life...way too much corn! The holistic vet recommended Fancy Feast as an option (a well researched raw diet as another option), but only the varieties that do not contain wheat gluten. Cats are carnivores, not omnivores like dogs. Some of the canned varieties mentioned above are fabulous for dogs, but are too grain and veggie filled for a carnivore. You have to look hard to find a canned cat food with no "fillers". Wysong has some wonderful canned options if you are interested. This is just my opinion, I know several kitties that have done fine with a grain and plant filled diet, but the more I'm learning, the more I want to stick with nature's plan.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also wonder about Fancy Feast. Though people say it isn't good, if you look at the first four or five ingredients, they tend to be excellent. And you can even see the real fish (with skin!) or meat in the can... more so than any other brand I've seen, except for maybe Natural Balance.

The downside seems to be that I've known it to give cats gas and make for smelly litter boxes... maybe it's a bit too rich.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I got the Innova dry and they both like it! Well of course they like it, they have been without dry since the recall. I really won't be feeding them too much dry after reading the posts about crystals and blockage. The good can food will be their main diet and the dry will be for treat only. I also got my sweet dog some healthy bisquits. I have to go back and get some good can stuff for the kitties.

O, Fosterkitty, my dog eats better than I do. He gets plenty of meat, deli, cooked pork roast, chicken, he even likes my homemade chicken soup. He absolutely hates commercial dog food dry or canned. Ok, so maybe he never tried Innova or the other brands.

I did find the Fancy Feast to be very strong smelling when I used it. I also bought some certified organic brand and was shocked to see that it looked like puke, I did not give it to my cats-threw it out. So, I gave up on can food. I figured, if they like what I am feeding them (tuna) and not turning their beautiful little noses up, then they are happy and I am happy.

Thanks to you Cat Lovers, my kitties will be (if they like it or not) eating some good can cat food. Have to make another trip to the feed store.

Yes, so glad I came here to get expert advice. Anything for my precious cats. My children think I love my cats more than I love them. Go figure.

DDCATS

"If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat."
Mark Twain

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuleNag

That depends on who you ask.
I don't want to come off as argumentative, I just want to share what I know. I have a kitty with crystal issues and I contacted a respected holistic vet about the situation 'cuz I am not going to feed my cat a "prescription diet" for the rest of his life...way too much corn! The holistic vet recommended Fancy Feast as an option (a well researched raw diet as another option), but only the varieties that do not contain wheat gluten. Cats are carnivores, not omnivores like dogs. Some of the canned varieties mentioned above are fabulous for dogs, but are too grain and veggie filled for a carnivore. You have to look hard to find a canned cat food with no "fillers". Wysong has some wonderful canned options if you are interested. This is just my opinion, I know several kitties that have done fine with a grain and plant filled diet, but the more I'm learning, the more I want to stick with nature's plan.
My cats don't eat anything with lots of grains and veggies. Right now they are eating Nature's Variety Prairie Raw Frozen, as well as Natures Variety canned, which has no grains and is 95% meat. Most of the high quality canned foods are full of meats and little to no grains and no fillers. I would also say that Natural Balance is on the low end of premium, though I do feed it occasionally.