Dry FIP

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone’s cat had dry FIP? What type of medications or treatments were given to help your pet be more comfortable?

We’ve been doing a lot of testing on our cat to find out what’s wrong with him but the vet doesn’t have any answers or a diagnosis. We just did a blood FIP test and are awaiting results. He already had xray, ultrasound, tests for felv, pancreatitis, coronavirus (positive for antibodies), CBC etc.

He is a little over 1 year old and losing weight. Poor appetite and getting mirtaz gel daily but it doesn’t help him to eat a lot. I’m thinking he needs high calorie food? He is still very much here and active so as much as I don’t want to see him suffer in any way, it’s not his time yet to go.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your little one has FIP. My Darcy got sick a month or two after we I adopted her. He was 6 months. But I think her's was the wet kind. I honestly can't remember what medicine the vet gave us, but I know one was an appetite stimulate, which didn't help much. we had to feed her with a dropper, high calorie canned food. Sometimes if I would get a little bit on her tongue she would eat. She also loved catnip greenies and got as many as she wanted.

I think wet is worse than dry, I'm not sure. It was about two months before she started going really downhill and we had to let her go. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, she was such a sweet kitty and didn't deserve that.

I hope you can get some good medicine and food for your baby.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry aboit your sweet kitty. There are new treatments for fip now. Here is a video. Mutian is one, there is a fb group called fip warriors I think.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Generally with FIP for palliative measures they’ll prescribe a steroid like prednisolone since it reduces inflammation and has the beneficial side effect of increasing appetite. Anti-nausea medication like cerenia is a good bet too since FIP commonly causes nausea. Your cat may also get fluids at the vet if he’s dehydrated from not eating/drinking like normal.

In wet FIP they should only drain the fluid buildup in the cat’s abdomen if it’s causing breathing issues, because after the fluid is removed the cat’s body rushes to replace it with more fluid which can make dehydration worse and put more strain on them.

There is an experimental cure for FIP now, it’s not officially approved yet so generally people don’t get it from their vet (although vets in some parts of the world are starting to prescribe remdesivir for FIP!) The aforementioned FB group FIP Warriors 5.0 can get you all the info you need.

MichMare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just saw your post and wanted to respond.
The previous posts mention the FB group FIP Warriors. This is probably your best bet for help and information.

My Rudy was diagnosed with dry FIP in late January, 2020, and passed away 2/2/20. I had reached out to the aforementioned FB group, but it was too late. She was two.
Unlike your cat, her only symptom initially was a strange spot on one of her eyes that didn’t completely resolve with the prescribed eye drops. The veterinary ophthalmologist was the one who diagnosed the FIP. Rudy ate ok until the very end; her symptoms progressed into central nervous system and motor problems about a month after the eye spot appeared. FIP seems to affect every cat differently.

From my experience with a different cat who had kidney disease, the tubes of liquidy pate ( they look like a Go-gurt tube) were very helpful when appetite became an issue. I forget who makes them, but there were several brands and flavors available at pet stores and even Walmart. Cleo used to lick the food right off my fingers, poor old girl. She lived on those for the last six weeks of her life; I gave her as many as she wanted to eat.

But contact that FB group; they will get back to you quickly.

So sorry about your cat; it is a cruel disease.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry your cat is going through this and like other members I can also empathize with you. :hugs: One of our 3 yr. old kitties was diagnosed with FIP over 6 yrs. ago. As you probably know FIP is more common in young cats although older cats can be susceptible too. I thought this thread might give you some helpful information especially about the use of Mutian for treatment:
FIP Is Treatable Now?