Dry FIP diagnosis????

sydney j cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I'm new here and really need help. I have a 12 year old Calico that was found as a stray at about 2 weeks old.  I fed her with an eyedropper until she was strong enough to eat and she's been the most wonderful cat since.  She's also been healthy and a 100% indoor cat.  My husband and I got concerned because her behavior started to change recently.  Over the last few days she wasn't sleeping with us, seemed more tired than usual, and was excessively thirsty.  She wasn't jumping up on our bed or up on the sofa when we watched TV either.  She looked a little thinner but she's never been huge, either.  Then one day she tried to jump off the sink and she wobbled and almost fell when she landed.  I called the vet and took her in the same day.  She did not have a temperature but was dehydrated and down in weight.  She ran bloodwork and gave her a shot of fluid, potassium and B vitamins.  We took her back home.  That night, she went to drink some water and fell on her side.  She was basically unresponsive for about 15 seconds and peed all over herself.  She wasn't stiff or twitching like a seizure.  She was more just limp and staring.  I sat there and cried and petted her thinking she was dying. When she came to, she seemed dazed for a few seconds but then just popped up and started drinking like normal.  The bloodwork came back the next day.  The vet said her protein level was high and she was severely anemic (at 20%).  She recommended a feline virus panel and put her on Bentrix and prednisone.  She also told us to give her more canned food rather than dry to help keep her hydrated.  From the virus panel,  FIV and Feline leukemia both were negative but she said FIP was positive.  She then diagnosed Dry FIP.  I'm not so sure.  Since she started the meds (five days ago), she is more alert and has been eating like a champ (although she has always loved canned food).  She looks more filled out and has been coming downstairs more.  She's not hiding like she was before and seems to be getting more like herself each day.  She also hasn't had more of the unresponsive episodes (she had 4 total in the first 2 days but then hasn't had any in the last 2 days.)  She's still weak but not like before.  Could the diagnosis be wrong???  I can't imagine losing my pretty girl but I don't want to be in denial, either.  Thanks for any insight :)

Megan

"Sydney's mom"

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... there is no test for FIP, to begin with, so yes, the diagnostic can be wrong. There is a diagnostic for the coronavirus, which a lot of cats have the antibodies for. The majority of cats ho ever been to a shelter, or cattery, for example, would show antibodies to it, so the test is pretty much meaningless, unless done with a bunch of other tests.
Your kitty does have some symptoms of the disease, but one test alone can not tell it is - the presence of the corona virus is not enough, and again, no test for FIP.
A lot of vets tend to diagnose cats with FIP when the cat has serious symptoms that they don't seem to fit into another disease - I have seen that diagnose been thrown out there more than what I can care for - frankly, it irritates the heck out of me. I am not saying at all this is the case of your vet or not - I know nothing about your vet, but this is the type of diagnosis that if I am ever faced with I am immediately off for a second opinion, as I have seen given quite loosely, and many times it did not fit the bill.

Again, your cat might have or might not have it, but I would not settle with it - I would ask for further testing and a second opinion.... Just my honest opinion....
I hope it isn't and your kitty gets better soon :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney j cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to both of you :)  I'm just not sure if cats with FIP will improve on prednisone and an antibiotic like she did.  She's almost completely back to normal after 6 days of treatment.  I think I will get a second opinion.  Like I said, I don't want to be in denial but I can't just give up on her either.  Thanks again!!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely get a second opinion and more testing done ASAP.

Hopefully this article will be helpful to you

http://www.lbah.com/feline/fip.html#symptoms

Here is why prednisone may be prescribed:

This disease has two major manifestations. The first is called the "dry form". In the dry form the white blood cells are involved, and cause an inflammatory reaction to the internal organs. These organs do not function normally because of this inflammation, and eventually will fail as the disease progresses.
Another excellent article, this one from Dr. Ron Hines

http://www.2ndchance.info/fip.htm

From this article about prednisone

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prednisolone or Prednisone and Other Corticosteroids[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FIP is a disease of inflammation, and corticosteroids are very powerful weapon against inflammation. However, they are not nearly as effective in treating FIP as they are in treating other forms of inflammation in cats – things like chronic autoimmune diseases or sudden shock-like acute inflammations. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It may be that the temporary improvement seen when some FIP cats are given steroids, is really due to the euphoria and well-being effects of all cortisone-like drugs. Unfortunately, that uplifting feeling is usually very short lived and is followed by a crash – at least in humans. (ref)
Another good side effect of corticosteroids is appetite stimulation in cats that have lost their interest in food. [/font]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]  [/font]

I hope and pray your baby does not have FIP.

lillehammer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just reading Sydney's post because my kitty was just diagnosed with FIP.  I thought he had gotten into something again, he loves to eat plastic and we're good about keeping him away from it, but when he stopped having bowel movements a couple of days ago, we became concerned he'd eaten something horrible and took him to the vet.  He had a fever and the vet wanted to keep him over night and ran tests.  She's leaning towards FIP, though told me there is always hope.  I can't stop crying.  My Lillehammer is only 2.5 years old and he was so great and playful just a few days ago.  less than 2 weeks ago, he had his shots updated and we even gave him a lion cut.  He's been happy and very cuddly ever since...until this.  I saw this post and I was hoping to see that Sydney had an answer and it wasn't FIP afterall.  I realize there is so much they don't know about this disease and even diagnosing it is difficult, but how much hope should I have?  What do I look for when I get him home and how will I know when to say he's had enough if it does turn out to be FIP? 

I'm also feeling a bit guilty because I just read somewhere that it might have been brought on by a traumatic experience and can't help thinking that the day at the groomer and being sedated for it might have been the cause. 

If anyone has any up-to-date info, I'd truly appreciate it.

I

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading Sydney's post because my kitty was just diagnosed with FIP.  I thought he had gotten into something again, he loves to eat plastic and we're good about keeping him away from it, but when he stopped having bowel movements a couple of days ago, we became concerned he'd eaten something horrible and took him to the vet.  He had a fever and the vet wanted to keep him over night and ran tests.  She's leaning towards FIP, though told me there is always hope.  I can't stop crying.  My Lillehammer is only 2.5 years old and he was so great and playful just a few days ago.  less than 2 weeks ago, he had his shots updated and we even gave him a lion cut.  He's been happy and very cuddly ever since...until this.  I saw this post and I was hoping to see that Sydney had an answer and it wasn't FIP afterall.  I realize there is so much they don't know about this disease and even diagnosing it is difficult, but how much hope should I have?  What do I look for when I get him home and how will I know when to say he's had enough if it does turn out to be FIP? 

I'm also feeling a bit guilty because I just read somewhere that it might have been brought on by a traumatic experience and can't help thinking that the day at the groomer and being sedated for it might have been the cause. 

If anyone has any up-to-date info, I'd truly appreciate it.

I
IMHO you should go to another vet for a second opinion..... I would not accept a FIP diagnosis easily like that. It is easily "thrown" at you when some vets are at a loss....
I am not sure what tests your vet ran and what not..... But since your kitty was fine just a few days ago, then got constipated and a fever.... and all of the sudden you are given a FIP diagnosis?
I would be running to another vet if I were you and running every single test out there. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

lillehammer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much, the websites were very informative.  Today the doctor has lowered her expectation of FIP, but hasn't crossed it off yet.  She is very confused by my kitty and his symptoms.  I've read so many websites so far, but the ones you just posted really  listed the predisposition and symptoms clearly.  My cat was about 8 weeks old when I rescued him from a shelter.  He was only with his sibling at the time (and that sibling was already spoken for when I came to collect him or I would've taken both of them).  That was almost 2.5 years ago, and the list said that if it was more than 18 months since being in a shelter, it would be highly unlikely to be FIP.  I liked reading that...I read it a lot.  :)   He is an indoor cat and has not had any contact with other cats...ever.  The coronavirus antibody test is still pending -- holidays and all has slowed this process down.  

I am going to be bringing Lillehammer home tomorrow.  He still has a high fever, but it's the weekend and we all thought it would be better for him to be here where he's loved and comfortable.  Between the massive doses of antibiotics and a household of love, I really hope his fever will break and maybe life will begin to return to normal.  Unfortunately, I'm at a loss as far as vets go, I"m in the middle of nowhere and am traveling almost an hour to get to this vet.  I'll give them a little more time though since it's a reputable hospital with four vets.  I won't let Lille go that easily!  But I will consider changing if nothing changes soon -- probably give it until mid-week. 

Thank you so much!  I'll write again tomorrow when he's home and I know what's going on.  (fingers crossed all goes well)

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The links posted are all great links.  I had a scare with this myself a long time ago.  Yes, this can be a misdiagnosis because there is no definitve test for FIP.  Please keep us posted.  I will be anxious to see the updates you post.  Vibes sent

lillehammer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help and support.  It was up-and-down for a bit there.  Now, after many antibiotics, antinausea pills and a thousand scratches later, Lille seems to be back to his old self.  His FIP (antibody) test came back completely negative, so I guess that's a sure bet.  I hope this is just one of those "fever of unknown origin" cases and he'll be fine from now on.  It's only this last week that he's started jumping up onto his favorite perch and now just wants to play and meow to get my attention all the time.  He's a bit more cuddly lately too -- probably after the trauma of the vet-hospital all those days.  Anyway, I consider myself a very lucky lady and we are happy to have our kitty.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!