dry climate + 4 cats + microfiber everything = shocking the H out of me! Help!

noxcnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Boise and it is really dry here and I have cats who like to knead, so we have a lot of microfiber blankets and a microfiber couch. Needless to say, a lot of static electricity builds up and it has gotten so bad that they wince when I go to pet them. I'm tired of getting shocked, so I can't imagine how bad it is for them. I have a couple of humidifiers, but they don't seem to help much. I have some waterless shampoo, but that only lasts for about an hour, as do the wipes. Plus, they run every time they hear the spray or hear me open the wipes packaging now. haha 

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get rid of all this static?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I used an anti-static spray on the carpet around the organ at church -- the static kept zapping the computer in the organ. I was pretty stinky, but the odor dissipated after a couple of days. The effect lasted several months. I think I got the spray in the cleaning aisle, or maybe near the laundry soap.

You can also get an anti-stat spray for the cats, in grooming supplies. You squirt it onto a brush or your hands and wipe the cat down with that instead of spraying directly on the cat. I use it a lot in the show hall just before taking my cats to the judging ring. It works well, but it's a short-term solution.

Good luck with finding something that works for you and your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noxcnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the waterless shampoo the same way, by spraying it on my hands and then wiping it on them. As soon as they hear the spray, they split. I will try the anti-static stuff though. Thank you!

Maybe I just need more or bigger humidifiers....