Dry Cat Food - What's the Best Choice?

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sharky. Is the 1st one better? They sell this at a local store that is exclusive to just my area I think, It's their own brand so is a little cheaper. thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the first one is okay and yes a touch better

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, as far as I know almost all companies list their ingredients according to quantity, so it's a pretty safe bet to assume what's on the bottom of the list is the smallest ingredient.

Otherwise, I think the general rule of thumb is to look for products with overall the least amount of ingredients (especially added colours or preservatives) and the most amount of meat.

My cat's on the best food I've ever found.. but I don't know if it's sold in Canada or the US. It's called Nutritec Cat and has few ingredients, and ALOT of meat (fish, chicken, beef.) It's cheap too! I've heard some good things about Newman's own cat food, but I don't actually know anything about it myself.

Keep in mind that cats are natural carnivores, and can't digest vegetable and grain matter as well as we can. The best diet for them would be an all fresh meat diet.. so cat food stock full of grains (even if they claim it's a good thing) isn't actually so good for your cat.

Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angryrectangle

First of all, as far as I know almost all companies list their ingredients according to quantity, so it's a pretty safe bet to assume what's on the bottom of the list is the smallest ingredient.

Otherwise, I think the general rule of thumb is to look for products with overall the least amount of ingredients (especially added colours or preservatives) and the most amount of meat.

My cat's on the best food I've ever found.. but I don't know if it's sold in Canada or the US. It's called Nutritec Cat and has few ingredients, and ALOT of meat (fish, chicken, beef.) It's cheap too! I've heard some good things about Newman's own cat food, but I don't actually know anything about it myself.

Keep in mind that cats are natural carnivores, and can't digest vegetable and grain matter as well as we can. The best diet for them would be an all fresh meat diet.. so cat food stock full of grains (even if they claim it's a good thing) isn't actually so good for your cat.

Good luck!
Cat DO DIGEST COOKED veggies which is what is found in canned and dry food.... NEITHER dog or cats have any NEED for grain but grain or another starch is needed to create a DRY food

DO you have a link for nutratec???

NEWMANS IS FULL of GRAINS

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cat DO DIGEST COOKED veggies which is what is found in canned and dry food.... NEITHER dog or cats have any NEED for grain but grain or another starch is needed to create a DRY food

DO you have a link for nutratec???

NEWMANS IS FULL of GRAINS
Well then I was misinformed! I hadn't really head much about cats digesting veggies, but I have heard they can't digest grains..

http://www.thedogbowl.com/PPF/catego...48/dogbowl.asp

Regardless, I was moreso thinking that if a cat is a natural carnivore then veggies and grains really don't really need to be an essential part of it's diet.

I do not have a link for Nutritec. I did a google search for it and nothing came up.. I think it might only be an Ecuadorian cat food? All I can tell you is that it's full of meats and vitamins, and very low on any grain matter.

I had no idea Newman's was full of grains.. I've never even seen Newman's own food! I've only heard good things about it.

Anyways, all I was trying to say is that cats need MEAT more than they need anything else. So the best thing to do when looking for cat food is to go for one with the most amount of meat!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angryrectangle

Regardless, I was moreso thinking that if a cat is a natural carnivore then veggies and grains really don't really need to be an essential part of it's diet.
You are correct in thinking cats do not need veggies or grains. Animal sources have much more nutrients available to a cat than any veggie or grain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat can live on meat .. but remember the ave lifespan of a wild cat is 3 yrs ...

another thing what did they prey eat as the carnivore is eating it pre digested

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cat can live on meat .. but remember the ave lifespan of a wild cat is 3 yrs ...
Actually there are studies by Roger Tabor and Dr. Julie Levy that say feral cats live as long as house cats.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

Actually there are studies by Roger Tabor and Dr. Julie Levy that say feral cats live as long as house cats.
I'd be very suspicious of that study.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feral fixed in a cared for colony ave ten yrs .... reg feral s about 3-4 yrs