Drugs for Rocket's spraying

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I got from my vet was a 120 ml bottle of "Fluoxetine Oral Solution 20 mg/5 ml" manufactured by Apotex Corp. It's a clear liquid that I squirted on top of his food and he never noticed it.

He's been off it now for, oh, two weeks, I guess. He was on it for 13 weeks total, including dose titration an beginning and end. He hasn't sprayed yet (that I know of) although he occasionally backs up to one of his "spots" with his tail partially lifted. I'm keeping things very low key here, trying to keep him from being stressed. Although when spring rolls around again, I don't know what's going to happen when the next stray cat comes around.

Thanks for asking. Good luck with your cat.

lorie8084

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update on Rocket. By the way, how did the fancy pants work for him? My roommate is seriously thinking of fashioning a pair for Neo. I think I figured out a solution. I got some Pill Pockets yesterday and emptied the capsule into it and Neo took it like a champ. No foaming at the mouth at all! He took one again this morning with no fighting or fuss. I'm so relieved that we can do this after two months of turmoil. He was doing so well not spraying, but we took in 2 foster kittens last week and although they were in another room, it must have been enough to trigger something because he sprayed last night in one of his old spots. I'm praying he doesn't have to be on the meds long, but we'll do what we need to do to end the spraying.

Thanks again!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pants worked all right. He urinated in them a few times, but he never sprayed. Since he doesn't seem to associate the pants with interferring with his urination, I don't think they influenced his need to spray, either. I'm still putting them on him when he gets in one of his agitated "moods" because that's when he's been most likely to spray.

Be sure to continue the meds long enough -- I'd say give it three months before you decide whether it's working or not.

Here's a couple links you can use to download my pants pattern:

http://home.new.rr.com/perihelion/pants-pattern-1.jpg
http://home.new.rr.com/perihelion/pants-pattern-2.jpg

It's in two images because the pattern is too big to scan in one. You have to splice them together, using the numbered lines to match up the halves. Sew A1 to A2 and B1 to B2 and attach fasteners to the split along the back. I've found that the best place to fasten, and velcro the best fastener to use.

lorie8084

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I so appreciate the pattern. If we need to go that route, I'd rather do that than put him in depends. The meds seem to be working really well, plus, he's been getting alone time in my room at night and has been sleeping alot more, which has caused him to be less stressed. He likes playing with the other cats during the day, but too much causes too much stress for him. The vet said it would take approximately 2 months for him to be on the meds and now that we can get them into his system in a less stressful manner, I think we're on the road to no more spraying! Thanks for your help. I'm so lucky to have found this website.

Enjoy the weekend!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give up after two months if he's still not there, yet. Vets are prescribing two months based on a clinical study done which ran for two months. Feedback that I've gotten from other people going this route is that it could take longer.

lorie8084

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okey doke. I've been keeping him in my bedroom at night (with his sister) and that gives him a good night's rest away from the other cats which keeps his stress down. And with the new way of giving the meds, we're both not as stressed.