Drugs and pregnant kitty?

tommaso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been giving my cat Penacillian for a week now and she is very pregnant. Is this harmful to the unborn babies? Thanks in advance!

Tommaso

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it vet prescribed? What reason are you giving it to her? Is it people penicillin or do you amoxicillin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tommaso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately it is not vet perscribed and it is people pennacillian. Before I get attacked by everyone, the reason she I gave her this was a matter of life and death. She had a sneeze that would not go away. It got extremely bad and after a few days she was wheezing and I could tell it went into her lungs. Unfortunately we are in the process of going bankrupt and have next to no money. I called my vet and he said it was probably and upper respitory illness by the sounds of it and it is now turning into pneumonia. He also said I have to get penecillian as soon as possible and that people pills would work if given the correct dosage. I told him I had some from a problem I had a few months ago, told him the name and said that would work. He also stated it was best to come in and see him but he couldn't do it for cheap or free even though he wanted too. He just opened the clinic with other doctors and they would not allow it. So I did what I had to do and now she is better. The only thing I am worried about is she is pregnant and didn't ask about this fact. I know it's our responsibility to take care of our pets but If you knew the hard time we were having this last couple months you would understand. We didn't for see these problems when we got our kitten and didn't think money would be a problem. Anyways, thats my explaination. I am sure some won't agree but now our pet will live so I believe I did the correct thing. You think the litter will be okay?

TGT

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i will not hound you on this whats been done is done. but please most vets will sort out a payment plan if you can not afford the vet vist if anything was to happen again please do go to a vet.
yes it could very well effect her kittens but without a vet check the only way you will know if if she miscarriages them or when they are born still born or are born deformed. (which i hope you or your girl do not have to go through)

please be aware that raising a litter can cost a fortune when weening, plus you have worming,fleeing,vacs and spaying/neutering the mum and kittens when old enough which is not cheap.
and if god forbid the mum rejects them for any reason it will cost you a bunch in milk replacer. mum could have problems durning her delivery and require a c section which cost us close to £500.00 (english money) im only saying this so you will be perpared as there is nothing you can give at home for a c section. she can also go in to prem labour and have problems. just keep an eye on her if anything worrys you then please get her to a vet.
im glad that she is well please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tommaso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You brought up a lot of good points. I am going to have to spend money regardelss so I think I will see if a friend can help me out. The last thing I want is the babies or mother to have problems and not be able to do anything about it. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Thank you.

Tommaso