Drug for Hyper- or Hypo- thyroid?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading about drugs to treat Hyperthyroidism and came across a link about a drug called Thiamazole, sold under the name of Thyronorm. I'm getting a bit confused now. Some websites say this drug is used to counter the effects of HYPOthyroidism (even in humans), other websites say the opposite, and now I can't understand what is what.
Can anyone clear this thing for me, please?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had this problem with any of my cats, but I do know that the same drug is used for both cases, which is something I never understood. The strays and older cats (from people on benefits) with over-active and under-active thyroid are all treated with the same medication. Maybe someone on the site will be able to explain how it works. I never accompanied such a cat to the vet's so never had a chance to ask.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have heard of methimazole in humans with Graves Disease, which is a hyperthyroid condition, being used to send them into hypothyroidism as a preferable condition. It is sort of like my first Cushings dog was intentionally given meds to bring on Addison's Disease. That is about as much as I have ever understood about it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I did a search in the PDR nothing came up with that name. :dunno: They listed Tapazole and Tinidazole. Could it be one of these you're referring to? Or could the drug possibly be Thioimidazole which is the common drug name for Tapazole?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
drug called Thiamazole, sold under the name of Thyronorm
I think whoever made the website/article was confused. Thiamazole is for hyperthyroid, brand name is Tapazole. The brand name Thyronorm is levothyroxine sodium, which is for hypothyroid. They aren't related at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think whoever made the website/article was confused. Thiamazole is for hyperthyroid, brand name is Tapazole. The brand name Thyronorm is levothyroxine sodium, which is for hypothyroid. They aren't related at all.

These articles seem to be a bit of a mix up of info

Thyronorm 5 mg/ml Oral Solution for Cats | Hyperdrug Pharmaceuticals

THYRONORM TABLETS - USES, SIDE EFFECTS, COMPOSITION |ABBOTT Medicine Pakistan

They say that Thyronorm contains Thiamazole.

EDIT: I had a nother link yesterday, but it seems that they changed the info overnight. I had asked for info on the HT group, and they noticed the mistake, so yesterday it was working... wrong... Wow!

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did you by chance check with the H-T forum group to see what they say?
[email protected] | Home
Hi FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , yes, I posted the same question over there, and one of the users said that it is possible, if not certain, that two different manufacturers are using the same name for two different medicines for HYPO and HYPER, and that apparently so far nobody realized it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I did a search in the PDR nothing came up with that name. :dunno: They listed Tapazole and Tinidazole. Could it be one of these you're referring to? Or could the drug possibly be Thioimidazole which is the common drug name for Tapazole?
It was Thiamazole, and it's listed in the ingredients of a few medicines.
It seems that two different brands used the same name for two different medicines. That's crazy!