Dropping a favourite toy into the water dish??

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

Lately  my cat has been dropping her favourite mouse toy into her water dish. Sometimes she leaves it in there, while other times she'll take it out, and drop it beside the water dish. This has been a daily thing for the past 4-5 days. Anyone else experience this? I've read some different ideas behind this, but was wondering if anyone can offer some insight!

I think it's cute! Just curious as to why she's doing this. She's had the mouse since Christmas, and it was her first toy (that she seemed to really like) when we brought her home when we adopted her. It's definitely her favourite, no doubt :)

Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no explanation, but I've seen it a LOT.  Some cats just do this.  I've not seen them do it, just found the "drowned" toy mouse in the water dish after the fact.  Perhaps they bat at it like they do an ice cube if you put ice cubes in their water, but I've never seen them put it there so I don't know.  You should watch and see if she is just playing with it in the water, as in "Gone Fishin', see ya later."

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will sometimes put her favorite toy in her food bowl after she "kills" it. I have heard they do this because they believe that they actually killed this toy and are putting it in a safe place for later, and many times that "safe place" is where their food and water is kept.