Dropped A Bunch Of Heavy Books On My Kitten Last Night By Accident, Not Sure If I Should Take Her To

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was adjusting my projector last night, and I use a bunch of heavy books to hold it up. Last night I was doing this my 13 week kitten was near me, and they accidentally fell on her. She started meowing a lot as I removed the books, and she just layed there with all her paws and legs spread in weird ways. I was immediately scared that she became crippled or paralyzed. I picked her up and moved her to a more comfortable place in my bedroom.

She slowly moved to a loaf position. I gave her a bunch of treats which she ate. She slowly then got up and moved around. I called the emergency vet, since this was christmas night, and they said she may need x-rays. I watched her for the next few hours, and I noticed when the books fell on her she pooped a little and had some stuff on her back. I wiped it away. Later she went for the litter box, I placed her in it and she pooped, she got out by herself. She did play gently with a few of her toys, but fairly gently. She then hid underneath a empty bookshelf where she slept for most of the night.

Now morning, three hours ago I gave her food, and she ate that up, she seemed to be able to walk fine and used the litter box a few times by herself. I called my vet and they said she should be fine, just shocked. She was able to jump on my chair and get on my legs to sleep. She does seem a bit lethargic, but she could just be tired, and has still being eating a lot. Just horrified how she initially was due to her legs initially seeming paralyzed, and her meowing so much.

Thoughts?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ouch, poor kitty!

Accidents do happen. But as long as she's eating and doesn't seem to be having trouble getting around, I am sure she'll be fine. Maybe bruised up a bit. Just keep an eye on her still just in case as cats can hide pain well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just off of the top of my head, and because I am cautious by nature, I'd suggest this. Watch her very carefully. If she is not back to normal by in the morning, take her in to be checked by your regular vet. IF her condition worsens, she won't move, won't eat, take her to an emergency vet immediately.

I think, and I hope, that her lethargy is actually a bit of soreness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just off of the top of my head, and because I am cautious by nature, I'd suggest this. Watch her very carefully. If she is not back to normal by in the morning, take her in to be checked by your regular vet. IF her condition worsens, she won't move, won't eat, take her to an emergency vet immediately.

I think, and I hope, that her lethargy is actually a bit of soreness.
You mean tomorrow morning right?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Immediately - if you see clear reasons. So for example internal bleedings are dangerous...

But if she seems ok you can prob wait and see and take her to your regular vet in the morming
You mean tomorrow morning right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Immediately - if you see clear reasons. So for example internal bleedings are dangerous...

But if she seems ok you can prob wait and see and take her to your regular vet in the morming
Okay she just seems a lot more tired and lethargic right now. I have an appointment schedule for tomorrow at 11:00 AM.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, seeing that video clip, that the vet will tell you that all is well! She's adorable, and looks to be moving very well. I see no sign of pain in her playing at all!

Now that the panic is no longer there, if you have a moment follow this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and that precious furball to the community! WELCOME TO TCS!