Drooping tail, painful backside

Lori Koop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the last week, Bella's tail has been drooping more. Now I can't touch her backside and she slinks out the door. Her best friend died on May 20, and I put her initial low behaviour to grief. Now, definitely not, and of course it's the weekend and all the vets are closed. Advice, please.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you locate an ER vet? Call your vet's office and see if their recorded message provides an emergency contact. If you have access to the Next-Door Neighbor web site, ask neighbors for vet/ER vet referrals. Do an internet search for ER vets near you.

Bella may have an injury of sorts, and if she spends time outside, it could be from something she did that you wouldn't necessarily know about. I would definitely keep her indoors for now.

Keep her eating and drinking as best you can and try to restrict her movements as much as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lori Koop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. She's back in the house and in the bathroom, door closed. She's got water close by and I'll try to feed her some wet food, though she doesn't seem to be interested in food at all. I'll get her to the vet tomorrow as an emergency if there's no improvement today.

Lori Koop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i feed 2 of my other cats raw food, so that's what she'll get if she wants it

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Over the last week, Bella's tail has been drooping more. Now I can't touch her backside and she slinks out the door.
I wasn't quite sure, is she an indoor/outdoor cat? If she does go outdoors are there any predators or stray cats near where you live? If so, this may be the cause of her tender backside and drooping tail. If she does not regularly go outdoors she may be showing signs of arthritis. How old is she? Either way a vet visit would be wise especially since you mentioned her best friend passed away on May 20. Please keep us posted on her progress after seeing the vet. :alright:

Lori Koop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she's indoor/outdoor - there's a cat door for them. Predators possible and a feral male around that could be the culprit. I seem to remember hearing a catfight outside about a week ago. She's not old, but I adopted her as an adult, pregnant stray, so not really sure of her age. 6? maybe? Another thought was impacted glands - or is this something that only happens to male cats?
I will keep you posted.

Midget's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Midget gets an irritated bottom and will creep around with her tail clamped down. Are you able to look at Bella for irritation? We have to sponge-bathe Midget's rear and occasionally apply antibiotic ointment. If Bella has clogged glands, you may be able to express them yourself. I imagine there are Youtubes on how to do that.