Drooping Ears (Male Adult Cat)

MarshallNA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up this morning to find that my cat, Gomez, who is a four year old male domestic short hair, is holding both of his ears at the side of his head. Every once in a while, he'll shake his head or scratch his ears with his back leg. It doesn't seem like one specific ear is bothering him more than the other.
He's a black cat so it's difficult to see the inside of his ears, but I took a flashlight to the insides of both his ears and didn't see any signs of mites. Neither of his ears are hot to the touch. His nose is clean, but not too dry or anything. He shows no sign of fever and he is still very active and naughty. We do have another cat and they play a little rough sometimes, and I'm wondering if she scratched or bit him on the ear.
I do genuinely wonder if he's doing it for attention. When tempted with treats or a toy, his ears will perk right up! When playing by himself and he most likely doesn't think people see him, his ears sit comfortably on top of his head. When we're cuddling with him or he's walking through a room, his ears droop and he scratches them. We give him lots of cuddles and play, and if anything, he's been getting more than usual now that we have to stay inside due to social distancing.
Normally, I would wait a day or two and if it resolves and if it wouldn't, then I'd take him to the vet. With COVID-19, though, veterinarian offices are still open where I live, but I'm trying to avoid going unless absolutely necessary. I'd really hate to risk spreading COVID-19 just to find out my cat was faking ear pain for attention.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When we're cuddling with him or he's walking through a room, his ears droop and he scratches them.
Hi! Cats don't fake things like this. Can you call your vet, and maybe send them a video of him with the droop and scratching, and see what they think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarshallNA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! How are things today?
So sorry for not getting back to you and updating this thread! Wow! So sorry!
I didn't end up taking him to the vet and instead, monitored hsi behavior. By the next day or so, he was moving his ears normally again and he showed no signs of distress. He stopped shaking his head and scratching his ears. He now appears to be in good health with no residual ear discomfort.
My best guess is that our other cat played a little too rough with him and because of his black fur, I couldn't see any scratches or there was a minor injury that was not externally visible but healed up on its own. It's not the first time they've given eachother minor scratches (I've worked with our vet and continue to about behavior and preventing their play from getting too rough).
Thank you so much for your help and I hope you have a great day! Sorry again for the very late update!