Drooling

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Okay, here is some great news. 

My dad DID exaggerate! I though a check-up would be 300 dollars. It's only on average 30-40 dollars.

I have 230 dollars, so I CAN afford it after all!

I was going through the phonebook last night and picked out a couple vets in the area I could look into.

We don't have a pet carrier, so I plan on building one myself. I'm looking up stuff for that as of now.

BTW. Do vets sue you if your cat skins them?
did your dad tell you that also?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like scratches? Vets know that animals have varying tolerances of strangers, much less strangers that squish them and poke and prod at them. They're trained to handle very difficult animals, and getting cuts, scrapes, scratches, or bites is part of their job and a liability they accept. It would be a different story if you lied on your pet's file, for example, to say they were vaccinated and such when they weren't. Just be honest in every way about your cat's history. In most places, by law, cats should be vaccinated for rabies on a regular basis. When we brought our 11 year old to the vet for an issue, he hadn't been vaccinated in over 10 years, but since he wasn't feeling well they didn't press for us to do so.

I would call vets and ask what their prices are. Some areas and some clinics can be very expensive, but some cheaper ones may have some less than stellar vets. They don't mind advising the prices of their procedures, and if they ask any questions, I'm sure they'll be understanding of your situation. When I'm at the vet and they suggest a test or procedure, they always tell me the price and how taxing it is on my pet beforehand. Anyone who tries to strongarm you into saying yes right away isn't a vet I would return to. You may need a parent to go with you though, since I believe vet forms require someone over the age of 18 to refer to as the owner to sign off on the pet's file.

Compare the vets you find to reviews on places like http://www.vetratingz.com/ and http://www.yelp.ca/ to make as informed a decision as you can.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here is some great news. 
My dad DID exaggerate! I though a check-up would be 300 dollars. It's only on average 30-40 dollars.
I have 230 dollars, so I CAN afford it after all!
I was going through the phonebook last night and picked out a couple vets in the area I could look into.

We don't have a pet carrier, so I plan on building one myself. I'm looking up stuff for that as of now.

BTW. Do vets sue you if your cat skins them?
No. Think how many patients he would be suing because of cat scratched. It comes with the territory. Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furballsmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 They're trained to handle very difficult animals, and getting cuts, scrapes, scratches, or bites is part of their job and a liability they accept.
That's a relief, Laura always hated strangers. 

She probably wouldn't be the most difficult cat a vet has ever seen but she might go crazy.

I'm looking at all the animal hospitals in my area, got a big list down.