Drooling?

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the sweetest calico show up at our complex several days ago, likely in heat due to her howling and rubbing on everything. She's calming down now but omg is she just the most loving cat! She loves to snuggle and puts her paws on my shoulders and just ruuubs her head against me and kneeds on my chest and puuuurrs!! I'm hoping she stays around long enough to get some money to spay her and if she stays until January when we move into an actual house, we would be willing to move her with us. She's already put on weight in the week I've been feeding her each day. (Poor baby was bones!!)

This morning I gave her some breakfast and once done, she did her morning ritual on my lap. But this time she ran her face across mine and was salivating a bit. Should I be concerned?? I can't afford a vet for her unfortunately. What would cause drooling? Not a ton, or full foaming at the mouth...Just a small bit running out of her mouth. Enough to leave a wet streak across my face.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've read that teeth or mouth problems can cause drooling though I don't have any experience with that personally with my cats.  However, I have two cats who drool when I pet them, it's just because they're relaxed or happy.  I hope that's the case with your kitty, but when you can afford it, I'd have her checked out by a vet to make sure she doesn't have a health issue.  Glad to hear you're going to get her spayed, too.  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two of my cats drool quite a bit when they are happy, and especially when they are "kneading" on me. 

Drooling CAN be a sign of issues in the mouth, or also issues with the stomach, or it can be a sign of happiness.  If she only seems to be doing it when she is happy, and she is eating well, then you are probably ok to wait until you can afford to take her in.  Let's just hope she's not pregnant, though, or you may need to take her in sooner than later