Drinkwell Fountain!!!

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

oops
I always say, I learn something new on this site everyday!!!
Obrigada
Perfeito!!!! Parabens!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Perfect!!!! Congratulations!!!!
lol) and hee!

Julie-Beans

doctorprilicla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was once at work and someone told me what the Spanish word for "anole" was...lagartijo! So you really do learn something new every day.

I've been thinking of getting a Drinkwell to encourage Marcus to drink more because he's prone to struvite crystals, however, Galen is a very nervous cat and I'm worried that the motor would make him jumpy or make him ignore it. For the price it runs at (I'm on an *extremely* tight budget...I have SO many vet bills!) I'm not sure if I should try it out or not. I am glad to see good things about it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by doctorprilicla

I was once at work and someone told me what the Spanish word for "anole" was...lagartijo! So you really do learn something new every day.

I've been thinking of getting a Drinkwell to encourage Marcus to drink more because he's prone to struvite crystals, however, Galen is a very nervous cat and I'm worried that the motor would make him jumpy or make him ignore it. For the price it runs at (I'm on an *extremely* tight budget...I have SO many vet bills!) I'm not sure if I should try it out or not. I am glad to see good things about it though.
Hi
. Well, I returned the original Drinkwell (which was cheaper than the Platinum) because the motor was toooo loud. You get what you pay for!
The Platinum's motor is extremely quiet and you can add up to 128 ounces of water too
. yes, it is pricey, but my cats are drinking so much more. I will say, though, I have not yet seen Pipsqueak drink from it
and he is a bit more cautious about anything new. I just think he will drink from the fountain when he feels ready too. he does walk up to it and sniffs but turns and walks away. It just takes him a bit longer for new things than my other cats. Here is a funny side-note about Pipsqueak. We just installed new granite counter tops. Pip was always a counter lounger. It took him THREE WEEKS to feel comfortable to be on the new counter tops. DARN IT, I was hoping that would be one less counter surfing cat

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have the platinum too and love it. We got it right after we got Calvin but Calvin was not using it a lot. We have bowls of water in every floor and since he hung out with us he usually drank from whichever wascloser and the fountain (in the kitchen) usually was not. DH had turned it off and Calvin did not mind. A few days ago we decided to turn it on again and Hobbes seems to like it and seeing Hobbes use, Calvin is drinking from it more. Plus after Hobbes came, the 2 kitties spend more time in the living/ dining/ kitchen area. We still have their 2 bowls in their room and on their feeding mats. And we have one in our bedroom on the 2nd floor. We dont have 1 in the basement since the basement is just 1 short flight of stairs from the fountain in the kitchen.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a Drinkwell Fountain for Spud about 7 years ago. We still have the same one. Hubby is in charge of the upkeep(cleaning) we both keep an eye on the water level. Spud always put his paw in the regular bowl of water to make waves...he needed to see the water level before he put his face in there. It was a very messy method but worked for him. He has had problems with FUS in the past and however he needed to get plenty of water was ok with us. We decided to try the Drinkwell and was very pleased with the results. He LOVES to drink from the water flow. We use filtered water from our water cooler, so the cats water is filtered twice by the time they drink it. They both love it. Thai has never had anything else to drink from since we adopted him.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are a great invention for sure. My kitties seem very happy with it. I have mine downstairs near their feeding station. Am thinking of getting another one for upstairs in the kitchen. This morning I found two of their toys in the fountain
. Their puff ball toy and a small toy mouse. This is not a surprise to me though as someone would put toys in the regular water bowl too. Go figure

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

We bought a Drinkwell Fountain for Spud about 7 years ago. We still have the same one. Hubby is in charge of the upkeep(cleaning) we both keep an eye on the water level. Spud always put his paw in the regular bowl of water to make waves...he needed to see the water level before he put his face in there. It was a very messy method but worked for him. He has had problems with FUS in the past and however he needed to get plenty of water was ok with us. We decided to try the Drinkwell and was very pleased with the results. He LOVES to drink from the water flow. We use filtered water from our water cooler, so the cats water is filtered twice by the time they drink it. They both love it. Thai has never had anything else to drink from since we adopted him.
It is nice to know that the fountains last that long and the motors hold out!
If they are cleaned and maintained

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat love their Drinkwell Platinum. And finally the PetSuppliesPlus near us started selling the filters, no more driving all the way over to PetSmart for them.

kriswwxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had the same Drinkwell Platinum since 2008... 3 of my 5 cats absolutely love it. I usually have to fill up it's large reservior every 4-5 days (using store-bought purified water, as we have hard water here & I don't want the parts getting coated).
If it seems to be clogged & the bowl's water level is rising, I slide-up the "pre-filter" & wipe off the hair stuck to it. While the pre-filter is off (& the fountain unplugged), I stick in the smallest Drinkwell cleaning brush & swipe it against the front of the motor, which REALLY gets out the extra gunk; which allows me to only have to completely take it apart for cleaning about once a month. (You have to stick the brush to one side of the flow-adjuster-lever, pull it out & wipe the gunk off, then stick it in on the OTHER side of the black lever to get the complete front of the motor.)
A few months ago, when plugging it back in, it sparked at the outlet & died (just the plug-in part, which connects to the motor cable). I found the replacement plug-in online at Petsafe.com for $16, which was accompanied by an extra motor... wheee! Now I have an extra motor if it croaks.
Hope this maintenance tip helps! Also, none of my cats have ever developed zits on their chins, so maybe it's a higher-quality plastic?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had the same Drinkwell Platinum since 2008... 3 of my 5 cats absolutely love it. I usually have to fill up it's large reservior every 4-5 days (using store-bought purified water, as we have hard water here & I don't want the parts getting coated).
If it seems to be clogged & the bowl's water level is rising, I slide-up the "pre-filter" & wipe off the hair stuck to it. While the pre-filter is off (& the fountain unplugged), I stick in the smallest Drinkwell cleaning brush & swipe it against the front of the motor, which REALLY gets out the extra gunk; which allows me to only have to completely take it apart for cleaning about once a month. (You have to stick the brush to one side of the flow-adjuster-lever, pull it out & wipe the gunk off, then stick it in on the OTHER side of the black lever to get the complete front of the motor.)
A few months ago, when plugging it back in, it sparked at the outlet & died (just the plug-in part, which connects to the motor cable). I found the replacement plug-in online at Petsafe.com for $16, which was accompanied by an extra motor... wheee! Now I have an extra motor if it croaks.
Hope this maintenance tip helps! Also, none of my cats have ever developed zits on their chins, so maybe it's a higher-quality plastic?
HI and welcome to TCS! Thanks for your tips on the fountain. I don't use a fountain anymore. I started this thread back in 2011! I have since transitioned my cats from dry food to a raw/wet diet. They get so much moisture from their diet now! ;) The chin acne all cleared up too!

Last edited: