Drinking From The Tap ...

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicquitita 'remembers' when the bathroom faucet was dripping when she was a kitten and she used to drink from it. She is 5 years old and still jumps up there looking for a drink! They love running water. I read it's their instinct to look for running water because long ago it was a source of clean water.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about buying her a cat drinking fountain - does anyone have one? Quite cute

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have one but it was a real pain to clean. The flowing water does attract the cat to drink from it. There's a review on here for one called Pioneer Pet Fountain that is described as being easy to clean. There's also something that attaches to the faucet, but I don't want my cat to start jumping on the counter after I've broken her of the habit. If anyone has one that's easy to take care of I'd like to know about it.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wondered if constant flow would be annoying (for us ) too. We made the mistake of giving her bottled water in her bowl once and how the fussy thing only seems to drink that (other than fresh from tap )

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pet fountain I had hardly made a sound, the motor was quiet and the water flowing could only be heard when you were in the same room. Since she likes bottled water she'd probably like a pet fountain because the water is filtered.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wondered if constant flow would be annoying (for us ) too. We made the mistake of giving her bottled water in her bowl once and how the fussy thing only seems to drink that (other than fresh from tap )
I only gave my cats bottled water for the last 15 years. They loved it and they seemed to have less UTI's with the bottled water. I drink it too. My tap water is awful tasting. My ferals and the other animals I feed get filter water. Someone I know said that her vet recommended the bottle water for cats.

Muffy

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a cat that would only drink from the faucet and only one particular faucet, the one in our master bathroom. We let it drip all the time and when he passed away I kept it dripping or I couldn't fall asleep.:sleepycat:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat that would only drink from the faucet and only one particular faucet, the one in our master bathroom. We let it drip all the time and when he passed away I kept it dripping or I couldn't fall asleep.:sleepycat:
They are so fussy aren't they ? But funny . I love the strops and waddling off to hide under the bed if we've told her off !

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats ignore when the faucet is running. One will play with the water with her paw, but very seldom.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up with the running tap water.

Our little "motu" loved drinking from the tap. She was fanatical about it.

We latter learnt she was diabetic (likely from the dry only, food hills prescription diet our vet was seling us). Apparently she was drinking so much water as she had health issues. If your cat seems to love drinking water....take it to a vet for a check up.

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ! Good to know

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we give our kitties tap water if we have a water softener? I've never asked the vet and it will be sometime before she's due to go back to him. Anyone know about this? Should I post in the nutrition forum?