Drinking From Odd Sources

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Just recently my cat Cygnus who does have feline herpes, started coming up to our cans/bottles of soda,water, beer and tries to drink from them and also licks the condensation as well as acting strange and trying to move the vessels of liquid.

His herpes has been pretty active for a few months, we've been to the vet and we did a round of Baytril in the event of secondary infection, he continues to get Lysine daily, has plenty of water bowls to drink from and he keeps coming after our cans.

He is not running a fever and I have thrown ice cubes in the water bowls and he plays with them.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Em used to lick the condensation off my cold drinks because he didn't like our tap water and wasn't drinking enough. We switched to filtered water, bottled water or well water we get from a family member with a well, and he started drinking out of the bowls more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from the chemical imbalance mentioned in another thread - consider using some flavorings in his water to see if that makes a difference.

A few members have talked about their cats wanting to drink from glasses on tables. Maybe your cat wants his water source on an 'elevated' platform? If you have a way to secure a glass on a table top so that he cannot knock it off, maybe that is the way he prefers to drink?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try giving him an entirely different water source as was suggested. Maybe a fountain? Put the soda can next to the water dish? In a dish of water?
Well I’ll be. I just opened a bottle for f water and put it in a saucer and he is still drinking. Maybe our water supply has changed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A couple of my cats drink from old coffee carafes. They like the deep infinity pool look to their water dishes.