Dreams And/or Songs Of The Deceased

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mods please move this thread if this is inappropriate. I mean no disrespect.

I'm curious as if anyone here who has lost a beloved cat (or dog or any pet) has had a dream or anything that makes them feel more at ease with their passing.
I'm also curious to know if anyone out there has "a song" for their deceased friend, or a song that reminds them of their deceased friends.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a odd thing happen, not a dream but a couple days after we had to put our Maine Coon baby to sleep, it seemed as though her spirit came by and tried to help me to feel better.
the poem Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep is one that some people like.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No dreams, but I woke one night and felt her weight against my leg where she always slept. And a single, ringed, distinctively tabby hair on my vanity every morning for a week. Her most dramatic statement was on the night she died, and my husband and I were crying and looking at the star filled sky. My husband yelled out, "Please Chrissy, tell us if you made it over, are you safe now? " At that exact moment a shooting star shot sideways across the winter sky! I will NEVER forget that.
Unchained Melody brings on thoughts of her, every time I hear it. And a tear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No dreams, but I woke one night and felt her weight against my leg where she always slept. And a single, ringed, distinctively tabby hair on my vanity every morning for a week. Her most dramatic statement was on the night she died, and my husband and I were crying and looking at the star filled sky. My husband yelled out, "Please Chrissy, tell us if you made it over, are you safe now? " At that exact moment a shooting star shot sideways across the winter sky! I will NEVER forget that.
Unchained Melody brings on thoughts of her, every time I hear it. And a tear.
That shooting star is amazing!!!! Give me goosebumps =)
Unchained Melody is one of my favorites.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a single, ringed, distinctively tabby hair on my vanity every morning for a week. Her most dramatic statement was on the night she died, and my husband and I were crying and looking at the star filled sky. My husband yelled out, "Please Chrissy, tell us if you made it over, are you safe now? " At that exact moment a shooting star shot sideways across the winter sky!
These are creepy! :eek:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious as if anyone here who has lost a beloved cat (or dog or any pet) has had a dream or anything that makes them feel more at ease with their passing.
I'm also curious to know if anyone out there has "a song" for their deceased friend, or a song that reminds them of their deceased friends.
Yes to the first question, but I choose not to tell anybody. Sorry...

No to the second, though about 15 years ago I shot a movie of my sweet Lola with my cam, edited it on my PC and added a soundtrack that I thought it was fit for her, it was "Fields of Gold" by Sting.
Anyway, "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow, reminds me of her because in the first line it sings "Her name was Lola..." :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad thing is, they are SO amazing and heartfelt at first but as the years go by the human mind tries to rationalize things and explain the unexplainable. It takes a little of the magic away. I wish we could hold on to that magical moment and feel exactly the same way as when it is happening, it is so very special and Godsent. I, too, still get goosebumps when I think of that shooting star, there is no other explanation for that happening in the winter and at that exact moment in time, other then our beloved Chrissy sending us a message that she was OK......I will always believe.......

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not dreams, but I often wake up at night feeling not just one, but several warm, purring lumps ranged along my body and legs in the bed.

The song "You've Got a Friend" always makes me think of my doggy sister, who was the constant companion of my childhood.

"You've Got A Friend"

When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights

You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby, to see you again
Winter, spring, summer, or fall
All you got to do is call and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah
You've got a friend

If the sky… above you should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud now
Soon I'll be knocking upon your door

You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yes I will, see you again
Winter, spring, summer, or fall, yeah
All you got to do is call and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?

People can be so cold
They'll hurt you and desert you
Well, they'll take your soul if you let them
Oh yeah, but don't you let them

You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Oh baby, don't you know about
Winter, spring, summer, or fall

Hey now, all you have to do is call, Lord, I'll be there, yeah, yeah
You've got a friend. You've got a friend, yeah
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend
Oh, yeah, yeah, you've got a friend

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A short while after we had to put Simon our Tuxedo down 4 years ago tomorrow I was driving and turned on the radio and caught the last part of Harry Chapin's "Cats in the cradle" and it was the part where it slowed down and said "when you coming home Son I don't know when, but we'll have a good time then, Dad, you know we'll have a good time then...."tears flowed of course.

And after Sebastian our Chantilly died 11/23/15 and I was in the process of getting my Angel boy Sylvester I dreamt of his image and my Grandmother's image, not their bodies or faces just an "image", almost like a cloud and the one on the left was black like he was and it came closer and twice said "do it.....do it....", and I knew he meant go through with it and get Sylvester and I said "I will buddy, I'll get him", and when I did get him he was thin and flea bitten, living in a bathroom because another cat wanted to fight with him all the time, and they just about gave up hope that someone would answer their ad and adopt him but he is GREAT now, as his previous owner said she told that mean cat who still looks for him "he's not here, he has a good, happy home now!" :) :thumbsup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad thing is, they are SO amazing and heartfelt at first but as the years go by the human mind tries to rationalize things and explain the unexplainable. It takes a little of the magic away. I wish we could hold on to that magical moment and feel exactly the same way as when it is happening, it is so very special and Godsent. I, too, still get goosebumps when I think of that shooting star, there is no other explanation for that happening in the winter and at that exact moment in time, other then our beloved Chrissy sending us a message that she was OK......I will always believe.......
Oh, I' get that!! It's so special and profound, and this applies to any death of any loved one, animal or human. These things I usually try to write down ASAP, in the most vivid detail possible, so I can take a moment to re-read, remember, and really try to re-live it.
I've had things happen that give me goosebumps even now when I take time to REALLY think about it. One was a cat, one was a dog, and one was a person, and each of those experiences have lead me to think that even if the afterlife isn't what we "think" it is, it's something, and it's plausible, and could be really, really cool...

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)
I have lost 2 dogs, and most recently, 2 cats. The dogs were long ago, in my childhood, but of course I have never forgotten them. We had one cat we had to let go in 2013, and the other just in November of 2017. It does hurt so bad, but I often picture them in my mind when I'm falling asleep. I think of songs like "You're my Best Friend, and "How Can You Be Anything But Beautiful". (Don't even know who it's by, but beautiful nevertheless}. I just keep thinking that we will, of course, rescue other cats that need help, and it is neither disloyal or a dishonor to our original cat's memory. Need a little time, though. We're going to the World Soccer Cup in Russia this summer so will wait till we're back to do any adoptions. Hang in there, man. Time does heal.

Best Always

Sarah

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think that's a strange question. It's been 5 years since I lost my little Eva. She still haunts my dreams. Most of the time those dreams are extremely comforting, because in those dreams I tangibly feel how much she loved me.

and as to the song, 100% yes. "Feels like home" by Chantal Kreviazuk. Eva pulled me out of a very bleak place, literally saving my life, and the words sum up precisely how I feel to this day about her. It reduces me to tears every time. It would make me smile to know someone heard the song on here and understood. I'm not too proud to admit that when she was still alive I used to sing it to her whilst she gazed at me.

If you knew how lonely my life has been
And how long I've been so alone
If you knew how I wanted someone to come along
And change my life the way you've done

If you knew how much this moment means to me
And how long I've waited for your touch
If you knew how happy you are making me
I never thought that I'd love anyone so much

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be completely corny, but Timmer and my song is "The Heart Will Go On" from the Titanic movie. All I have to hear is that flute and I go to pieces.
Even though our radio over-played that song 20 years ago when it originally came out, I agree. That flute was really kind of magic, and whomever played it managed to share a lot of emotion with it!!!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that's a strange question. It's been 5 years since I lost my little Eva. She still haunts my dreams. Most of the time those dreams are extremely comforting, because in those dreams I tangibly feel how much she loved me.

and as to the song, 100% yes. "Feels like home" by Chantal Kreviazuk. Eva pulled me out of a very bleak place, literally saving my life, and the words sum up precisely how I feel to this day about her. It reduces me to tears every time. It would make me smile to know someone heard the song on here and understood. I'm not too proud to admit that when she was still alive I used to sing it to her whilst she gazed at me.

If you knew how lonely my life has been
And how long I've been so alone
If you knew how I wanted someone to come along
And change my life the way you've done

If you knew how much this moment means to me
And how long I've waited for your touch
If you knew how happy you are making me
I never thought that I'd love anyone so much

What a lovely song...something about the tune and lyrics seem both sad yet hopeful and happy. Best kind IMO, and when our emotions from a time period and our experiences with that time period are tied into that song, we can hear it 30 years later and immediately remember.
Every so often our radio station does a throw back night and plays hits from 10,20,30, etc. years ago. If it's a song I knew and knew well, it's AMAZING how quickly I remember how old I was (approximately), what I was doing during that time, how I was feeling, what was going on, etc.
I recently heard a song that came out when I was about 9 that I never knew the title to, nor the artist, but the first few notes of the song threw me back to being at age and I remembered so much in a few seconds.
Years ago I adopted a little guy that (I always said) "woke me up". I wasn't depressed or in a bad state, but where I was at then was going through the motions and with him around the basic chores of life became fun, because his expressions and the stuff he did made me laugh always.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a cat named Pickles and she lived to be 18. She was with me in a very crucial time of my life through thick and thin. Our song was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Not because it's a great song (and it is) but because one night I caught it on TV and sang along with it. She was curled up on my chest and started purring and licking my chin and got all crazy with love. I thought that was sweet. Well, I tested her one night and sang it on my own and she did the same thing.

The other song that was really hers, was the whistling theme to The Andy Griffith Show. Anytime I whistled that she would come running. So cute.

We were so in tune with each other. The night I found out my mom passed away I collapsed on the stairs and was in tears and she started howling. She ran to me and stood there howling. Cats are amazing.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a cat named Pickles and she lived to be 18. She was with me in a very crucial time of my life through thick and thin. Our song was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Not because it's a great song (and it is) but because one night I caught it on TV and sang along with it. She was curled up on my chest and started purring and licking my chin and got all crazy with love. I thought that was sweet. Well, I tested her one night and sang it on my own and she did the same thing.

The other song that was really hers, was the whistling theme to The Andy Griffith Show. Anytime I whistled that she would come running. So cute.

We were so in tune with each other. The night I found out my mom passed away I collapsed on the stairs and was in tears and she started howling. She ran to me and stood there howling. Cats are amazing.
Cats IMO are every bit as loyal as dogs, provided we put into them what we hope to get out of them.
Really cool story about how she was distressed over your distress. They're intuitive.
I had a cat when I was little that lived to be 18 like your Pickles...when us kids would go swimming, he'd behind a gate nearby and we would be thrashing, screaming, jumping in the water, shouting, and he'd stand at the gate and yowl.