Drastic Behavior Changes, And Not Using Litter Pan Ect...

kylie.mc.15238

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Tay is about 8 or 9 years old. He's always been healthy and outgoing and has been primarily an outdoor cat. But suddenly he stopped going outside last fall and I assumed it was the weather but come spring and summer he still hasn't resumed going outside. I looked into several things and as far as I can tell there were no new animals around, and as far as I know nothing traumatic had happened. More recently though he stopped peeing in the litter pan. He still poops in it, but has taken to peeing on one corner of the floor in the basement. We tried changing the litter type twice but it didn't make a difference. I thought maybe he'd lost control of his bladder but he only goes in the one place, if he were having accidents I am sure he'd at least some of the time pee in different places. Also he has lost some weight and the fur on his sides is really thin. We are treating him for fleas, so I'm not sure if he's like biting on his sides which causes the fur to come out or not. But also he's taken to laying on top of the hot water tank in the basement and really only comes down to eat. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, but it is time to take him to a good vet. ALL of these changes, taken together, indicate that there is something physical going on with him. And I would do it sooner rather than later. The primary symptoms for knowing when a cat is in physical distress are changes in activity levels, eating habits, and litter box habits. You have a solid two out of three.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be a UTI. He might need some antibiotics from the vet. Also, maybe ask about de-worming.