Dr Elsey cat food

mywinns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and have been searching threads to find those who have had issues with Dr Elsey formula and what food you have switched to.
My 5 yr old cat never received the original formula that didn't have the pork plasma. I switched her cheap high carb kibble to Dr Elsey Chicken Flavor a couple of months ago. She was like a whole new cat and still is!!! So healthy and vibrant. HOWEVER...there has been occasional vomiting issues that weren't present before the switch. It's yellow liquid bile and nothing else. Vet is aware and of course will pursue further if needed.

Those of you have had issues could you please share with me what Comparable Quality food you have switched to? No peas please. I did notice DR ELSEY TURKEY doesn't have the plasma? Anyone using this ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - Welcome!

I had to stop giving my cat any kibble at all because he'd vomit - I tried a few brands (although I didn't give him Forza10).

The ingredient list is quite different from Dr Elsey's but have you considered something like Forza10? I was wondering why you haven't tried the Elsey's Turkey though.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my (not a vet) understanding, yellow bile is usually acid build up in the tummy. We resolved this in Magnus but adding an extra meal time.
Yes to this on both counts. Adding extra meal times and/or setting out food at night can be very effective in resolving what we call acid barfs. We use timed feeders for night meals and that eliminates acid barfs most of the time.

3CatsWithLyme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and have been searching threads to find those who have had issues with Dr Elsey formula and what food you have switched to.
My 5 yr old cat never received the original formula that didn't have the pork plasma. I switched her cheap high carb kibble to Dr Elsey Chicken Flavor a couple of months ago. She was like a whole new cat and still is!!! So healthy and vibrant. HOWEVER...there has been occasional vomiting issues that weren't present before the switch. It's yellow liquid bile and nothing else. Vet is aware and of course will pursue further if needed.

Those of you have had issues could you please share with me what Comparable Quality food you have switched to? No peas please. I did notice DR ELSEY TURKEY doesn't have the plasma? Anyone using this ?
Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place.
I find this site extremely confusing. Locating the forums and threads is not straightforward. I tried previously to post information about Dr Elsey's kibble, but it was a little to close to the truth and it was deleted.
So, all I will say for now is that with the help of Chewy, I have found a good kibble that my cats seem to love, so far. It is a Canadian made kibble called First Mate. They have two flavors. My cats like the Pacific Ocean Fish Meal with Blueberries. It is quite expensive. So, Dr Elsey's demise is no longer of concern to me. If you are looking for a replacement for Dr Elsey's, I recommend you give A look at the ingredients in First Mate.
If there's a way for you to communicate with me directly and privately, off thread, and you would like more information about Dr Elsey's, you are welcome to contact me and I will share what I know. Hopefully this post doesn't also get deleted.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to this on both counts. Adding extra meal times and/or setting out food at night can be very effective in resolving what we call acid barfs. We use timed feeders for night meals and that eliminates acid barfs most of the time.
You can get a food timer on Amazon. I assume the yellow bile is in the morning? Then I agree, being without food for 8+ hrs will cause vommitting and feeling nauseous. Until then,feed small meals multiple times in the morning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mywinns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get a food timer on Amazon. I assume the yellow bile is in the morning? Then I agree, being without food for 8+ hrs will cause vommitting and feeling nauseous. Until then,feed small meals multiple times in the morning
Vomiting that was witnessed was in the afternoon. Approx 3 hrs after meal. She currently uses a feeder and we give small meals ..at least the smallest we can ..4 times day

mywinns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vomiting that was witnessed was in the afternoon. Approx 3 hrs after meal. She currently uses a feeder and we give small meals ..at least the smallest we can ..4 times day

mywinns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - Welcome!

I had to stop giving my cat any kibble at all because he'd vomit - I tried a few brands (although I didn't give him Forza10).

The ingredient list is quite different from Dr Elsey's but have you considered something like Forza10? I was wondering why you haven't tried the Elsey's Turkey though.
Elseys turkey formula is no different. Contains pork and pork plasma which is what is different in this brand. My vet has been contacted and said he does not recommend pork

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be she is trying to get a fur ball out. Buy some hair ball remover paste,dab of egg yolk or butter
Luckily I am blessed with a cat that loves to be brushed. If it continues,have a vet check her gums

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Elseys turkey formula is no different. Contains pork and pork plasma which is what is different in this brand. My vet has been contacted and said he does not recommend pork
My cat peaches cannot eat chicken or fish but can eat turkey. Does your cat drink enough?