Dr. Appt

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
We have 2 ferals that we bought insode almost a year ago. They are about 3. I know they should go to the vets for a check up once a year. They are fixed. They let us touch and pet them and rub against us. They don't go near anyone else and will run upstairs. How can we get them to trust us so we can hold them, I want to be able to hold them before we start taking them to a vet for check ups.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When taking the feral cats I have brought inside to the vet, I get a prescription for gabapentin. It lightly sedates the cats. Makes the cat fairly easy to handle. I usually give 1, 100mg tablet ( in a pill pocket or pill masker) the night before. I then give another one about 4 hours before the vet visit. I am then able to pick the cat up and place in the carrier. The cat is also able to be examined by a vet without further sedation.

I am able to pet my feral boys, but only 1 can I pick up. I have had to take the one I cannot pick up to the vet twice in the past 6 months. Both times the gabapentin has worked well. Ask your vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl was feral and after 3 and some years I still can't hold her. She does enjoy petting and even demands laps but it is always on her terms. However, when I have to I can grab her so when it is time for the vet I do. She isn't super comfortable and becomes an "armpit cat" (as my vet calls it). Luckily, she isn't aggressive with the vet, just uncooperative.

I think one quick grab and bad day is quickly forgotten and well worth it for an annual check up. Doing a mild sedative before could help lessen the impact.

In terms of getting them used to being picked up, the only way is to do it. I'd start with petting and lifting an inch off the ground. Over time slowly increase how much they are lifted and how long. Eventually they should get used to it to some degree. I do this with my girl but since it isn't a huge priority for me my focus has just been on being able to grab her. Although lately we've been pushing her more on being picked up, but that is a mostly selfish one because she likes being pet on the ground and she's really short. It would be so much nicer to be able to lift her in my lap or hold her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ty so much. I talked to a animal hospital today and they said first they would need to see if they can handle the cats. And if not, scheduke an appt and they will then gove us meds to sedate them. Im afraid to take them in without any meds bc it will go bad and i will be so upset and sad for my boys.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you should find another vet, this sounds like a potential problem.
I had a vet tell me they need to see the feral before they could give blood work etc.. for me there was only one shot, I found a vet who would do it all in one shot. Your Feral is much friendlier than mine tho.
so your going to be ok!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they're eating, give them a pet or two and stop before they decide they've had enough.
When they're sleepy, same.
Handle them as often as you can but only as little as you can without having them get up and leave. It's no guarantee, but some cats that are hands off come to view human hands as something they can't get enough of if you quit before they've had their fill. It's a little like reverse psychology.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet won't prescribe a sedative beforehand (my former vet wouldn't), then take her in a pet carrier that you can unscrew the sides of and lift the top off. The vet can then easily administer a sedative with a shot from from above the carriee. This is usually only necessary if blood work needs to be done. In a healthy, young cat, I don't do this every year. Once they reach the age of ten, they should get lab work done every year.