Dozing... (daytime sleep!)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

Geez loiuse?? GHB for narcolepsy?? I can't wait to get into the chem class that tells me how THAT works!!!
I don't blame you for passing on that - those side effects would definitely make me think twice!!
Yeah, GHB actually restores the stages of sleep that narcoleptics are missing. Those are stages 2-4 and narco's are missing at least 2 of those and spend most of their time in REM which doesn't give them restorative sleep and thus, excesive daytimes sleepiness. I'm missing all three of the "restful" stages. Here's a easy to read article on sleep stages (if anyone is interested)
Sleep Stages

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been really interesting reading about narcolepsy - how common is it though?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gilly

It's been really interesting reading about narcolepsy - how common is it though?
It's not very common at all. I don't have any specific statistics though. And it's one of those things that they don't know tons about but it is believed it has a genetic component.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Wasn't my intention.... just kind of came out and kept coming as folks asked questions!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep I can! I am a night person by nature and if I do sleep in (some weekends but I am usually woken up by the hospital, sigh!), my sister says I can sleep thru a hurricaine. I suspect she's right. When I do sleep in, poor YY comes in to see what's wrong and why I am not up - I'll get up and feed her and the sphynx and then go back to bed - she usually comes back to lie down with me tho. as do the others, lol

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to sleep during the day, because I work the all night shift at work. I would give ANYTHING, if I could sleep at night, like regular people.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take a long nap every day, but it is usually only two or occasionally three hours, rarely four. I did get a four hour nap a few days ago, though. I have a sleep problem and though I fall asleep in seconds or minutes at night, my sleep usually lasts only 3-5 hours. And I need more than that. Occasionally if it was only three hours, I'm able to fall asleep again, but any more than that and I have to be awake at least four hours and have eaten a meal or large snack before I'm able to sleep again. I tried for years all the recommendations about how to get a decent night sleep in one block, but nothing worked, so I gave up. I now just assume that every day I'll have a "split-shift" night.

Well, I've been awake since 5 AM after 4½ hours sleep, so it is almost time for my daily nap.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!
My night-time sleep is usually plagued with dreams or a snoring husband. There is nothing like a long, sweet afternoon nap!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I always end up napping when I lay down with the kitties in their sunspot. I start with the intention of petting them but warm sun and purring kitties put me straight to sleep.