Doxycycline and cat vomitting

buddy_tj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was prescribed doxycycline in oct that I gave him for 1.5 weeks. He was severely anemic for part of it and wasn't eating too much but I made sure that he swallowed water after the pill. The vet switched his antibiotic in late oct and he finished his course by the end of Oct.
In early December, he started throwing up dry food. He will make all sort of noises, would heave, retch just like normal cat vomiting and then throw up. I started giving him more wet food and he is able to keep down wet food, boiled chicken, turkey and steak. He can also eat 15 to 20 kibbles at a time without throwing up. The only time he throws up is when he eats dry food by himself and I guess gobbles down too much too quickly. He has this habit of not always chewing his food so I can sometimes see full kibbles in his throw up that's covered in mucus. The vet suspects that the doxycycline may have caused damage to his esophagus but as he is eating, they are giving him antiacid right now to rule out any other issues before we go to expensive tests/ treatments.
He also has an autoimmune blood disorder, on prednisolone for last 3 months and his rbc numbers are going down.

I am torn on this one. He is young, very very happy and friendly cat. I am also feeling so bad that I may have caused this because of not administrating the pills correctly, I was told to give him 3 to 5 ml of water after the pill and I tried to do that but may be I missed sometime. I have heard stories about stricture treatments not working all the time and requiring multiple treatments and failing even after that.

I guess what I want to ask is,

* Can the prednisolone be causing this (like acid reflex or something) and not doxycycline? It happened a month after I stopped giving him doxycycline while strictures usually happen within a week or two.
* With his condition, is it worth doing anything about it? I am wondering if I let him be happy for whatever time he has left and feed him what he can eat easily. The cats with his autoimmune disorder have a median life expectancy of 1.6 years with maximum 9 years. He has already been fighting it for at least 6 months.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pilling can cause a condition called erosive esophagitis. Doxycycline pills are known to be irritating if not swallowed with plenty of water. There's info here:

Pills can be hidden in a Pill Pocket or something similar or there may be a liquid or compounded version available.

Try crushing the dry food up a little so they're not whole pieces that are swallowed and later vomited up. Or just limit dry food as treats and feed more canned food to your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddy_tj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for pill pocket information! I just ordered some. I wish I knew about it before. His vet thinks he may have to take prednisolone for rest of his life so if this works, it will make it much more easier to give him that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Doxycycline is available in a liquid that can be flavored. I had it compounded with a chicken flavor for a cat long ago. Liquids may be easier to give than pills for some cats. Chewable flavored treats, capsules that you open and sprinkle the medicine direclty into yummy moist food, transddermal gels are some other compounded options for many medicines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddy_tj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing all these articles ! He is not on doxycycline anymore so I don't know to worry about that but he is taking an antiacid and prednisolone so these will help me there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can also try a few other tricks to getting him to take his meds. If the pills can be crushed, smash them and mix with one of the following:
1.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Six, Wholehearted, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft. There are others on the market as well.
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) the 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, then give a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse, which is a 'complete' cat food, unlike the treats.

I use all of the above, switching them out, so that I don't tire Feeby out of one type. And, it usually doesn't take a lot of any one of them to get the meds down here - a consideration for meds that should be taken before an actual meal. I decided a long time ago if any of the above will work, it is better by far than all the pilling 'tricks' in the world. Besides, it avoids trying to get him to swallow something whole, like the pill pockets if his esophagus is irritated. Compounding meds in various forms, such as liquid, and with flavoring is always another option.