Double Whammy!/Drunk as a Skunk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was cleared to have small meals after 3:30 this afternoon. Her procedure was at 8 a.m.
She is eating a very small amount , but the food is going away as soon as I post this. I wonder if she is going to spend the entire night sitting in the kitchen before her empty placemat?!🤔

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why are you removing food? If the vet has cleared her to eat, she absolutely needs to be able to eat.

Last edited:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you removing food? If the vet has cleared her to eat, she absolutely needs to be able to eat.
She is like a puppy..eats and eats and doesn't know when to stop! Se has had more than recommended for the day. She is so sedated/high right now she has no clue what she is doing..I keep 2 pristine litter boxes and she sleeps on her feet in the litter box and will not sleep in her usual place..my bed..because she is mad at me, for one, for putting her through all this..

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my kitty to a cat only vet because my regular vet couldn't get us in as quickly as I liked. They told us she would need fancy x-rays, bloodwork, a full dental and extractions. It was going to cost us about $3K. I love my cat, but that was a bit excessive. I called my regular vet and told them what had happened and they were able to work us in. Turns out, she needed 2 extractions (resorptive lesions) and a dental. It cost us about $250, with everything including some pain meds to help post-extraction. It's always good to get a second or third opinion.
She only needed 2 extractions and a cleaning. A couple hundred bucks is way different than well over $2,800!!! A 3rd opinion was well worth it. The money I paid for the consult was minimal.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'm guessing she's really not supposed to eat anything yet until the morning? That's how it was for my guy after his dental, with NO extractions! With four extractions, my other guy was also "drunk as a skunk" and there was no way he could even make it to the kitchen to sit near his eating place so I didn't really need to worry about it.

I'm sure as soon as she is cleared to eat and has a full belly again, she will forgive you for putting her through all this. Besides, surely her mouth will feel better than it did since she required extractions.
She couldn;t eat before, but now post op she is cleared to eat small amounts.
My Louise is guarding her food like a miser! She was a shelter cat rescued after her owner died and then as a 'stray' and I would love to know her life story, if only she could talk. I really want to know what makes her do the things she does.
Is she afraid she will be deprived like last night's pre-op fast? Perhaps. If only she could talk!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is eating a very small amount ,
Se has had more than recommended for the day.
If she's eating only a small amount I'm not sure how that is an amount that's more than recommended. If she's able to swallow, ie eat safely, it would be appropriate to allow her to have multiple small meals.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's eating only a small amount I'm not sure how that is an amount that's more than recommended. If she's able to swallow, ie eat safely, it would be appropriate to allow her to have multiple small meals.
She was having diarrhea and vomiting for the past few days ....just following what the Vet suggested .

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We seem to be conversing at cross purposes so I'm going to leave the thread, but my point is that if your vet cleared her to eat, then she can eat.
Thank you for all your help.The vet put restrictions on how much she can eat the prescription foods that were prescribed as well as supplements and when she can eat the foods in small amounts. I do have a hard time saying exactly what I mean to say and many times it is not clear. My bad. Thanks again.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How's she doing today? Has she forgiven you yet?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's she doing today? Has she forgiven you yet?
:dizzycat: She is still as high as a kite! Eats like a pot belly pig now and doesn't come near me unless it is for more food! Today she spent the day basking in the sun on the enclosed porch. Summon the maid,Eat n Sleep..that's the life. She is doing a lot better, thanks.:)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still awaiting that bowel movement, though.Her fast ended Wednesday afternoon and she has been peeing tons, but ony 1 teeny weeny bm, although she ate massive amounts while she was on the pain meds.. and she's licking the gravy and leaving the solids again now that the pain meds have worn off.
Right now she is watching Cat tv and lounging on my bed, poor dear. She is trying to figure out where the birds fly to after they leave the screen .

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Louise in to the Vet yesterday..she woke up looking awful after having slept all day and all night.
She had stopped eating..even stopped licking the gravy. Just about no bowel activity since her dental work 1 week ago.
Turns out she had a bit of an infection. The vet gave her antibiotics, and a fast acting shot to stimulate her appetite.
As soon as we returned home she ran to the kitchen and has been eating to her heart's content and is now back to her normal teasing self. AND she is eating the solids as well as the gravy w/o any added broth or blending in the bullet.
I feel so fortunate to have found a vet who cares and calls to check on her patients.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to take Louise in to the Vet yesterday..she woke up looking awful after having slept all day and all night.
She had stopped eating..even stopped licking the gravy. Just about no bowel activity since her dental work 1 week ago.
Turns out she had a bit of an infection. The vet gave her antibiotics, and a fast acting shot to stimulate her appetite.
As soon as we returned home she ran to the kitchen and has been eating to her heart's content and is now back to her normal teasing self. AND she is eating the solids as well as the gravy w/o any added broth or blending in the bullet.
I feel so fortunate to have found a vet who cares and calls to check on her patients.
Very glad you found that vet too!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you caught it and she is feeling better