Double Trouble -- New cat won't integrate and becomes suddenly aggressive

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, you can call me Otter. I'm an experienced cat owner that's lived with cats my whole life, and I'm stumped by the problem I'm having right now.

For the past 10 years, we've had a female cat named Bliss. She's a small domestic shorthair mackeral tabby rescue with no breeding to speak of and had no history at the shelter we got her from-- probably a stray. She's a bit nervous, but is a very sweet cat-- she's never attacked anyone and she also lived with our previous cat Eli for about 6 or 7 years until he died of old age at 19. They never fought and respected each other's space.

Recently (about four or five weeks ago) we adopted a new cat, Boo Bear. He is a large, black longhaired cat. He is 3 years old. He was returned to the shelter he originally grew up in as a kitten from the people who first adopted him because they had a new child who ended up being severely allergic. His report was glowing-- all the volunteers loved him, and his previous family had nothing but praise for him. They had he was so gentle that their toddler would often do toddler things like pulling his tail or giving him full-body hugs and he never minded or got aggressive with them. He roamed the shelter freely with many other cats and didn't ever get into a fight.

He was wonderful with us too. At the shelter, he was extremely loving and cuddly. For the first week or so that we had him, he was perfect. Despite being kept in a room away from Bliss all day, he was very sweet.

The first sign of trouble was due to an error on our part. While my mother was trying to get in her room, where we were keeping Boo Bear (at this point the cats had only seen each other through a tiny crack in the door a few times), Bliss snuck around her ankles and the two cats clashed. They chased each other around the house while making horrible screaming noises. We managed to separate them, and while no blood was drawn, it was obvious that they were both shaken up by the encounter.

After that, we started to be more dutiful about keeping the two apart and supervised. We would "shuffle" the cats a few times every day by locking Bliss in my room and letting Boo Bear explore and visa versa. We were hoping this would get them used to each other's scents. Things were going okay until Boo Bear randomly 'attacked' my mother. I did not see it, but she claimed that he grabbed her arm while she was sitting at her desk and tried to bite her. Again, no blood spilled (didn't even leave a mark), but it was a strange anomaly.

As time passed, my father built a screen door to go in their bedroom door so the cats could be introduced better. With Boo Bear in their bedroom and Bliss outside, Bliss simply gave a few hisses and then left to my room to hide. She would never get close enough for them to really smell each other. Then we tried putting the door in my doorway with Bliss in my room, and things were going okay until Boo Bear charged the screen door. He damaged it a little but did not break it entirely. We haven't used it again since, probably a week and a half ago.

Boo Bear had been on good behavior again for awhile, but just today, my mom picked him up from a place she didn't want him to be (a ledge near the stairs that could be dangerous if he fell) and he turned on her. He was "stalking" her, and she called for my help. I came up to her office and he then turned on me. He stalked up to me slowly, and then, very slowly, leaned in to try and bite my arm (I was sitting on the floor). It was so slow and so gentle that he didn't hurt me at all, but I could see the intention in his eyes and posture. It was very strange.

So right now, we're having serious trouble introducing two cats, and also dealing with a potentially dangerous cat. Any advice?

Other items of note:

. My mother is very nervous around Boo Bear since the first time he "attacked" her, because she has been mauled by a cat in the past and she doesn't like how she can't read him and isn't sure what he's going to do. I don't think this helps things.
. When Boo Bear has his time out of his room, he tends to stalk around a lot and doesn't settle down. This also unnerves my mother.
. Sometimes, Boo Bear fixates on my closed door when he's out, probably because he knows Bliss is on the other side. He doesn't hiss or bang the door, he just sits and looks very intent.
. Bliss is fairly chill about all this. She doesn't instigate attacks. When she is out roaming the house normally, she acts as she always has (sleeps a lot, eats, plays, doesn't seem uncomfortable at all.)
. Things that Boo Bear likes: Food/treats, toys, my dad. All of these things will immediately distract him from anything he's doing. He really loves my dad for some reason.
. Boo Bear has his own litterbox in his room, but when he is out he will use Bliss' and Bliss will still use it after he has.
. We've gotten a calming pheromone collar for Bliss which she is now wearing. We also have a pheromone diffuser in Boo Bear's room.

My thoughts:

Honestly, I think Boo Bear is bored out of his mind. He's locked in his room for most of the day with no self-propelled toys or good distractions. I think he got mad at my mom picking him up off the ledge because it was entertaining to him and he was getting frustrated. He's a young cat and he needs more attention. I want to get more proactive with introducing the cats so they can be in the same rooms together and then Boor Bear can have more stimulation all day, but at this point it's a two-person job and my parents are dragging their heels about it. I think we need to do eat-play-love like Jackson Galaxy does but I don't know how to convince my parents to help me do it, especially when my mom is getting scared of Boo Bear.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can give!

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I am wondering, is it your house your parents live in , or your parent's house that you live in? Are the cats equally yours and theirs, or are they more just yours? Wondering because I think it matters on asking for help from them concerning the cats and how you would handle that.

Personally, I've never dealt with this situation. But I think your new cat, Boo Bear, is really scared from switching environments (a home he was really used to and happy in, then to the shelter, and then to your house now...) and having a clash with Bliss. And if you or your mother smell like Bliss alot it it could make him on edge. He could just be stalking from being bored....

An idea, and not that it's super fair, but maybe you could put Bliss in a room, like your room, and let Boo Bear explore the house for a week and feel like he has more turf and toys. Are there no interactive toys he can play with in his room because it's your mom's room and she doesn't want cat stuff everywhere? If so, maybe you could switch the room he's in to your room Or the rest of your house. I think having a cat tree and stuff to play with might make him feel more secure and less bored. Like maybe some of those ball towers, and some catnip toys.

Have you been doing scent swapping, feeding him near something that smells like her, and vice versa?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Grey Lady --

I live with my parents. He is all our cat, we went to pick him out together.

I honestly don't feel any fear from him. When he walks around, his posture is confident, and he greets us with his tail up and eyes bright. I don't think he's afraid of Bliss.

My dad built a sort of cat tree for him in their room, but it's the top floor of our house and maybe there's not a whole lot to see from there. His favorite spot when he's out of the room is a ground-level window in our basement where he watches birds and other critters. He doesn't really have any toys he can play with on his own though-- in his own room I mean.

We have been scent swapping, but it hasn't seemed to have an effect.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think there is an issue between your mother and Boo Bear that is going to need to be addressed before you will be able to successfully integrate him with Bliss and the household. She is tense of him and he senses it and it almost sounds like 're-directed' aggression from him as a result of the 'tension' between him and your mother. That tension is affecting everything else about any introduction process you put into place. You need to talk with your mother and the two of you come to an agreement on a plan to get to the point where Boo Bear and she are 'friends'. If that can be accomplished, I think you can get back on track with introducing the cats.

Edit: And, he does need to have entertainment and toys to allow him to enjoy spaces in the house - where ever that is.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I think there is an issue between your mother and Boo Bear that is going to need to be addressed before you will be able to successfully integrate him with Bliss and the household(...)
I think I have to agree. The problem is, my mother is a very nervous person naturally, not to mention, as I said, she had been mauled by a cat in the past. She connects those two dots and has a really hard time with Boo now. Do you have any suggestions as to how to allay her fears?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I have to agree. The problem is, my mother is a very nervous person naturally, not to mention, as I said, she had been mauled by a cat in the past. She connects those two dots and has a really hard time with Boo now. Do you have any suggestions as to how to allay her fears?
First of all, she has to want to get over her fears and be willing to take action to do so. That is why I suggested you talk to her and the two of you develop a plan - that way you have her 'buy in'. How about getting your dad involved in the process, since Boo Bear seems to get along well with him? Besides getting Boo Bear some toys/etc. for his room - which is an absolute MUST, perhaps your dad and mom can go into his room together to play/interact with him? Your dad can kind of be your mom's buffer. You could also do that same with her and Boo Bear.

If she is willing, maybe you can try to employ some tactics from this TCS article?

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

And, maybe these as well?

What to Do When You're Scared of Your Own Cat

How to Stop Being Afraid of Cats

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grey Lady --

I live with my parents. He is all our cat, we went to pick him out together.

I honestly don't feel any fear from him. When he walks around, his posture is confident, and he greets us with his tail up and eyes bright. I don't think he's afraid of Bliss.

My dad built a sort of cat tree for him in their room, but it's the top floor of our house and maybe there's not a whole lot to see from there. His favorite spot when he's out of the room is a ground-level window in our basement where he watches birds and other critters. He doesn't really have any toys he can play with on his own though-- in his own room I mean.

We have been scent swapping, but it hasn't seemed to have an effect.

That's really good that it's all of your cat... then everyone wants it to work out more, if you know what I mean.

I think FeebysOwner had some really good suggestions about solving the problem with your mom first. And getting him toys he can play with. I think it's clear he's not ready to have an introduction with Bliss yet. But I dont think it hurts to get them used to each other's smell only until the other problems are solved.

Before I was thinking it would be better if he could not be in her room since they don't get a long perfectly per se, but if your mother really wants to work on not being scared of him maybe it's not a bad thing for them to get really close by sharing a room. Finishing the introduction to the humans before moving on to the cats.

Once he seems to be more comfortable in there, feed them on a blanket or towel that smells like the other. then move to feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door, then the screen door, and when they seem indifferent to each other more or less, finally letting them see each other. Each step it's important to have them showing confident body language and not seeming to "care" about the other cat too much before you move on.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, she has to want to get over her fears and be willing to take action to do so. That is why I suggested you talk to her and the two of you develop a plan - that way you have her 'buy in'. How about getting your dad involved in the process, since Boo Bear seems to get along well with him? Besides getting Boo Bear some toys/etc. for his room - which is an absolute MUST, perhaps your dad and mom can go into his room together to play/interact with him? Your dad can kind of be your mom's buffer. You could also do that same with her and Boo Bear.

If she is willing, maybe you can try to employ some tactics from this TCS article?

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

And, maybe these as well?

What to Do When You're Scared of Your Own Cat

How to Stop Being Afraid of Cats
Thank you for the resources, I will look at them tonight.

I will have mom and dad talk together tonight at the dinner table to see what we can come up with as a routine for this cat and stick to it. I have offered to have Boo Bear in my room instead so mom doesn't have to feel afraid of him when she's in her room. I will set him up with more toys and things to do, and since I work from home I will have more time to play with him during the day. I'm fine with taking on the lion's share of his care while my mom slowly builds trust with him on her own time. I also think dad should be with her when they interact since Boo is very fond of dad.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's really good that it's all of your cat... then everyone wants it to work out more, if you know what I mean.

I think FeebysOwner had some really good suggestions about solving the problem with your mom first. And getting him toys he can play with. I think it's clear he's not ready to have an introduction with Bliss yet. But I dont think it hurts to get them used to each other's smell only until the other problems are solved.

Before I was thinking it would be better if he could not be in her room since they don't get a long perfectly per se, but if your mother really wants to work on not being scared of him maybe it's not a bad thing for them to get really close by sharing a room. Finishing the introduction to the humans before moving on to the cats.

Once he seems to be more comfortable in there, feed them on a blanket or towel that smells like the other. then move to feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door, then the screen door, and when they seem indifferent to each other more or less, finally letting them see each other. Each step it's important to have them showing confident body language and not seeming to "care" about the other cat too much before you move on.
My mother, unfortunately, has been feeling uncomfortable sleeping in her room, so I've offered to take Boo into my room instead, so she can at least relax at night. I will do my best to set up more toys for him and play with him on a regular schedule. I'm going to write out an outline for the whole family to follow during the day to make sure he doesn't get even more frustrated or bored. I've heard that very bored cats can re-direct their frustrations on their humans.

Introducing him to Bliss will take a backseat while we exhaust his frustrations, and rebuild mom's trust in him.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mother, unfortunately, has been feeling uncomfortable sleeping in her room, so I've offered to take Boo into my room instead, so she can at least relax at night. I will do my best to set up more toys for him and play with him on a regular schedule. I'm going to write out an outline for the whole family to follow during the day to make sure he doesn't get even more frustrated or bored. I've heard that very bored cats can re-direct their frustrations on their humans.

Introducing him to Bliss will take a backseat while we exhaust his frustrations, and rebuild mom's trust in him.
I think that all sounds great :)

He will probably be more comfortable with you because you are comfortable with him. Sometimes fearful human body language and actions can freak a cat out even more. They can definitely feel that tension. And being in your room, you can build a strong trust with him.

I think it will be better this way, for everyone. I also liked the idea of having your father be with your mother when they interact- to make both of them feel more at ease (Boo Bear and your mom)

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that all sounds great :)

He will probably be more comfortable with you because you are comfortable with him. Sometimes fearful human body language and actions can freak a cat out even more. They can definitely feel that tension. And being in your room, you can build a strong trust with him.

I think it will be better this way, for everyone. I also liked the idea of having your father be with your mother when they interact- to make both of them feel more at ease (Boo Bear and your mom)
I really think this is the case, because he only ever acts in this "aggressive" way around mom. She can become very frightened and jumpy and I think he is mirroring her to some extent. If he acts this way towards me while in my room (or he doesn't) then we will know what the culprit is-- that my mom is just scared or he really is an aggressive cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he acts this way towards me while in my room (or he doesn't) then we will know what the culprit is-- that my mom is just scared or he really is an aggressive cat.
Until things somehow settle, he may act aggressively with others - just because he is in your room doesn't change the dynamics in terms of what he can sense.

themodestotter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until things somehow settle, he may act aggressively with others - just because he is in your room doesn't change the dynamics in terms of what he can sense.
Good advice, thank you. I'll be sure to take my time with him and give him some leeway if he still seems upset or frustrated with me.