"double-decker" cat poop

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Warning: detailed description of cat poop follows.

This morning, my girl Abby dropped what I can only describe as a "double-decker" poop. The primary piece was nearly two inches in length while a smaller .75" piece was attached at one end, so it looked like a double-decker bus with a smaller upper level. Or an airplane with an upper level.

This is the second or third time I've seen something like this from her and at first I thought the two pieces landed like this and attached in the box. After this morning, however, I think they came out like this, as she entered the box once as if to go and nothing came out. Then an hour later, she went. I was in the next room and heard the pre- and post-scratching and am guessing from the amount of time between the two that she might have had a little trouble passing that poop. I can see why!

Has anyone seen this with their cats? Any idea what would cause it? Her poops are pretty firm, not overly hard, but I don't want her to keep getting these things and possibly get backed up.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cocheezie does this frequently. In her case, it is either one movement that has doubled back on itself, or occasionally part two of the same movement, having given herself a momentary rest. She's always been a corner or side goer. Likes lots of space in front of her. She puts her backside right up against the side or the corner of the litter box meaning the bowel movement has nowhere else to go but back on itself. Sometimes she backs herself so close to the edge that the bowel movement misses the litter box altogether or gets stuck to the side of the box. She's always done this. It's never been a concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear it's not completely abnormal. Abby is a corner and side peer, but she usually poops right in the middle of the box. As does Tim, but I can usually tell them apart by volume and burying technique. We've all been a little edgy the past couple of day, and perhaps something (me?) caused her to stop mid-movement and create the double-decker poop.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose for peace of mind, you could whip up a batch of slippery elm bark and give that for a few days, to help clear out any potential blockage. 

I do that once a month, just to grease the pipes and keep everything tickidy boo. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I suppose for peace of mind, you could whip up a batch of slippery elm bark and give that for a few days, to help clear out any potential blockage. 

I do that once a month, just to grease the pipes and keep everything tickidy boo. 
I will try this next time. What I tried last night and this morning didn't work so well.

Last night, Abby's stool consisted of five very firm ovals. We've been giving Tim a small amount of psyllium under the supervision of a holistic veterinarian and his stools have a very nice texture. I gave Abby a small amount, probably about 1/32 tsp or so, mixed with plenty of water to make a thin syrup, then stirred into her food. This morning, after her unsuccessful attempt at passing a stool, I panicked and gave her about 1/16 tsp of Miralax. About 15-20 minutes later, she passed the stool described in the original post, but seemed to have difficulty doing so. Still, she was successful and I was sorry I had given the Miralax on top of the psyllium 12 hours earlier.

This combo really cleaned out poor Abby and upset her stomach. When I got home, I found two episodes of soft stool, unformed though not liquid (one in each litter box). She wasn't interested in eating dinner, which is unusual as it was rabbit. A few moments later, she softly meowed then vomited a bit of hair and liquid. She actually seemed to feel better after that and I got her to eat some turkey breast. So I will watch her tonight, feed her a bit of food, make sure she's hydrated. She is resting quietly now and seems to feel okay. But any more vomit, or if she refuses food tomorrow, off to the vet we go.

But that combo, never again.

Edited to add: Abby just ate, thank goodness. Hopefully this means the worst is over. I started with some warmed turkey broth with a bit of turkey breast meat. She seemed hungry after finishing that, so I offered a small plate of cat food, which she gobbled. I'm feeling a little better, but still so sorry I did this to her.

Last edited: