Dottie's Harry Potter scar

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, it's not in the right place, and it will probably not be very noticeable when it's all healed, but here it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They did Mohs surgery, which has an excellent prognosis (99% success).

The incision is so large because they wanted to be able to close up the wound completely, neatly, and without puckering.

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has any one talked to you/her about putting vitamin E oil on it once the stitches come out?

I had the same thing done to my nose. As soon as the stitches came out I started putting the Vit. E on it and I could see improvement from morning to afternoon! WONDERFUL stuff.

If you have a health food store you can buy it in a bottle with a little "wand". If not you can buy it a just about any where in gel pill form. You just have to poke a hole with a pin.

Tell her good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a nasty looking scar but hopefully it will fade nicely. The important thing is that she's OK.

There is a big ad campaign on here for a product called Bio Oil which is supposedly wonderful for minimizing scarring - she may want to look into it.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice neat suture line. The zig zagging is a technique used to make the scar less noticeable. It 'tricks' the eye into not seeing it as a scar!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Nice neat suture line. The zig zagging is a technique used to make the scar less noticeable. It 'tricks' the eye into not seeing it as a scar!
That's interesting, I didn't know that. It does look so painful now though. I hope it heals up well. Plus that area of the face I think it'll be less noticable than say the cheeks or chin.
Definitely makes you think of Harry Potter!
Does she have any new powers to go with it?

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! It really doesn't look bad as in blood and guts. But it is impressive. Much better than I expected.

Hopefully it will heal nicely.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the surgeon hasn't already recommended something, perhaps talk with a dermatologist regarding what would be good to minimize scarring. The surgeon's office probably knows someone you could just call without actually coming in for a visit.

But, I bet it'll heal with minimal effect. I've heard good things about Vitamin E and that Bioil stuff too. Hmm, a pharmacist may have some thoughts as well.

Sorry, just saw your other post...I would think either the plastic surgeon or the original dermatologist would be able to recommend what would maximize the best healing. Again, best wishes for quick healing.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats really is a scar, its for an important reason though. I have just started using bio oil on my thyroidectomy scar and its helped alot.Sending fast healing vibes x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kimkats000

Has any one talked to you/her about putting vitamin E oil on it once the stitches come out?
I passed on your suggestion.

She's feeling much better today.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is how it looks about 10 days after the surgery.

Remember, this is for a lesion about the size of a pencil eraser.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Actually, the closure is a common plastic surgical technique called Z-PLASTY, which allows the skin to be stretched along the axis of the incision to cover the defect, re-direct the incision to fall along natural skin folds or skin tension lines, or lengthen contracted scars.

Incisions in that area of the face heal quite well because it is very vascular, and there is very little tension on the incision line. After a few weeks, once the incision is healed, it helps to massage the scar with a moisturizing substance (like the vitamin E mentioned earlier) to help keep the deeper structures mobile.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything went well for Dottie and when the swelling goes down, it will look and feel much better.