Door Darting?

pixielou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! First let me start by saying I have 2 cats (Pixie and Milo) they are 7 months old and are biological brother and sister. Their mother was an outside cat and they were born outside. They are both fixed as well!

Ok, now on to my problem! Pixie, my female, is a door darter. Every time the door is opened she makes a bee line for it and tries everything in her power to make it outside before the door closes or a pair of hands can grab her. Since they have been 8 weeks old, they've been strictly inside cats. It worries me when she gets outside because I live in town and both my neighbors have outside dogs that just run around their yards. I'm afraid one day Pixie is going to get out and run before I'm able to catch her. Her brother, Milo, couldn't care less about the outside world and doesn't try to run out at all. So my question is how can I get Pixie to stop darting out the door?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you consider harness training her and taking her out for walks.  It is a compromise that works sometimes.  She will get outside time and you will know she is safe.  Another option is a catio.

[article="22430"]Harness And Leash Training For Cats​[/article]  

[article="29670"]Cat Enclosures​[/article]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixielou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would prefer them to be strictly indoor cats. We have a lot of dogs around where I live and some of my neighbors are not very responsable pet owners and they don't do much to keep them in their own yards :( I had researched door darting a little before I found this forum and somewhere I read about putting "cat repellents" around the door (which I assume would just essentially be a scent that cats don't like to keep her away from the door. Would this actually work? If so does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use?

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a helpful answer, just a sympathetic one. Abby showed no interest initially, but one day began the door dashing and I haven't been able to curb it since. While the situation isn't as dire as yours because I am in a second floor apartment and so she only makes it into the hallway, it was a problem because (a) she's not supposed to be in the hallway, (b) I have a neighbour with a large motorized wheelchair that he doesn't operate with the greatest of control (he could accidentally run over her) (c) there is an outside change if someone opens the door to the stairwell or gets off the elevator that she could get further than the hallway, and most critically from my point of view (d) I usually have somewhere I need to be when I open the door (i.e. work) and don't have the time to drop everything and catch her, then try to push her back into the apartment far enough that I can close the door before she gets back over the threshold or in the way of the door as I'm trying to swing it shut. So I tried citrus spray in the hopes the smell would be repellant, I tried a plastic carpet protector mat turned spiky side up, I even tried a spray bottle of water (which she hates). Nothing worked. I considered, but did not try a "scat mat" and there is also a gizmo that sprays air when triggered. Instead, I happened to be in a store that had a three panel screen for sale, so I purchased that. I put it across the hallway, making a barrier between the door and the rest of the apartment. It is easier to put her on the other side of the screen than it is to close the door on her. I can get on the one side, calmly put on my shoes and coat and exit without concern about her getting underfoot as she streaks past me. I can come home, open the door and go into my home without having to drop everything and chase her down as she gets out into the hallway. It took a few tries for that last bit - she pushed and pulled the panels open enough to get by them the first couple of times, so now I have litter containers in front of them to stop that.

So I don't know if a screen or some kind of barrier will work for you, but for me it cut down significantly on the aggravation. I guess the only advice I have is that it is trial and error, but hopefully you will discover what works for this kitty.

P.S. I gave some thought to harness training Abby, but given that I can play with her for over an hour and she still wants to play, I suspect it wouldn't curb her enthusiasm (but would probably increase it). And I don't want to take any chances. People in my neighbourhood are pretty responsible dog owners, but there are raccoons around and last month a cougar was tranquillized a few blocks away from where I live.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixielou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Putting up a screen or a barrier of some sort isn't a realistic possibility with the way my house is set up :/ I did pick up a squirt bottle that I will use whenever she gets too close to the door (there is a large square of linoleum before the door that I've decided is going to be the "danger zone") and if she steps on it she gets sprayed. I also want to try applying a scent that will help keep her back so if anyone has suggestions of smells that cats avoid that would be great :)

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was researching what to do about Abby I read that citrus smell is a deterrent. Abby is so determined that it didn't seem to help, but your kitty might turn back. Hope so.