Don't worry... but we are gonig to the vet today!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Thanks sweetie! We are going to Revolution him, so I can't give him a bath until that is through, so we'll look into that next month.

I never knew this process was going to be so difficult or so expensive! He's a special boy, so he's going to get the best care I can find for him. Right now, he's sulking in the bed room. In a few hours I think he'll be out and about giving me a lecture on how bad of a Meowmy I am.
Such is life with my kitties!
You don't have to wait a month- you can bathe him 3 days after you apply his revolution
Definitely do a malabase bath though- it will help his skin and soothe it! Ask your vet about it- most vets offices sell it for about $15 - and it lasts for a good while. You need to wet his fur then apply it to him. It has to sit for about 10 minutes or so- so what i normally do is wrap them up in a blanket with just their head poking out and hold them for 10 minutes, then rinse- that seems to be the best way for them to absorb it into their skin. /Also- with the malabase bath, you don't have to worry about shaving him down for cortisone dips (although those do work as well) - it sooths both the skin and fur without having to aggervate it anymore. If they do shave him, make sure they hold the electric razor backwards so that he does not get razor burn. You might ask about him taking an anti-allergy tablet or benadryl -those help as well! For a skin condition- a cortisone injection might be an option as well during allergy season. If you do the anti-allergy tablets or benadrly- get a pill crusher, and crush it up then put it into some soft food for him (in lue of the recent pet food recall -i've been making baked boneless /skinless chicken and plain white rice for my furbabies that need soft type foods and blending that together with chicken broth in the blender then heating it to room temp. and serving it to them) if you mix the pill in crushed he'll NEVER notice:bighthumb: / In the mean time though, it is safe to get just regular Aveeno lotion and rub that on the spots he's been pulling fur out of

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

You don't have to wait a month- you can bathe him 3 days after you apply his revolution
Definitely do a malabase bath though- it will help his skin and soothe it! Ask your vet about it- most vets offices sell it for about $15 - and it lasts for a good while. You need to wet his fur then apply it to him. It has to sit for about 10 minutes or so- so what i normally do is wrap them up in a blanket with just their head poking out and hold them for 10 minutes, then rinse- that seems to be the best way for them to absorb it into their skin. /Also- with the malabase bath, you don't have to worry about shaving him down for cortisone dips (although those do work as well) - it sooths both the skin and fur without having to aggervate it anymore. If they do shave him, make sure they hold the electric razor backwards so that he does not get razor burn. You might ask about him taking an anti-allergy tablet or benadryl -those help as well! For a skin condition- a cortisone injection might be an option as well during allergy season. If you do the anti-allergy tablets or benadrly- get a pill crusher, and crush it up then put it into some soft food for him (in lue of the recent pet food recall -i've been making baked boneless /skinless chicken and plain white rice for my furbabies that need soft type foods and blending that together with chicken broth in the blender then heating it to room temp. and serving it to them) if you mix the pill in crushed he'll NEVER notice:bighthumb: / In the mean time though, it is safe to get just regular Aveeno lotion and rub that on the spots he's been pulling fur out of
Thanks so much honey! I'M starting to pull my hair out at this mystery.

My vet says that if this course of action doesn't work then we are going to try a lime sulfur bath. I can't imagine him being happy about smelling like rotten eggs.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Thanks so much honey! I'M starting to pull my hair out at this mystery.

My vet says that if this course of action doesn't work then we are going to try a lime sulfur bath. I can't imagine him being happy about smelling like rotten eggs.
Surely a lime sulfur bath is a much cheaper option to start with??? I'd be trying to cheaper, more natural solutions first to see if it helps him, THEN do the more expensive medicated stuff. But then I'm not a vet charging a fee