Don't use plastic bowls!

bourbonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We woke up to our almost two year old kitty Bourbon with his bottom lip extremely swollen one day (see pic). So I panicked and before calling the vet decided to google it and see f anyone else had this issue. He didn't have any other issues, he was eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, sleeping, and playing like usual. Turns out the cheap water bowl we got from Walmart was the issue. As soon as we changed it to a porcelain dish, after about two days, he was fine! So just wanted to share the experience.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We woke up to our almost two year old kitty Bourbon with his bottom lip extremely swollen one day (see pic). So I panicked and before calling the vet decided to google it and see f anyone else had this issue. He didn't have any other issues, he was eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, sleeping, and playing like usual. Turns out the cheap water bowl we got from Walmart was the issue. As soon as we changed it to a porcelain dish, after about two days, he was fine! So just wanted to share the experience.
Yes , using plastic dishes will have that effect on some cats .. It can cause  bacteria  to grow and  cause chin Acne .. 

We only use  glass feeding dishes and a flat stainless steel water dish .

I am glad your kitty is feeling better ..

Last edited:

braysnaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting this.  It's been about 3 weeks since I became 'mama' to a kitten.  He came to us injured; so that was first and foremost.  I am trying to learn all I can as I've never had a kitten/cat before.  I really appreciate these important tidbits!  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We also had a problem with a couple of our cats developing chin acne.  Switching from plastic to stainless steel solved the problem.