Don't think my new cat is happy

hankandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks ago my boyfriend and I adopted a cat from the local animal shelter. His age is estimated at 1-2 years old.  When adopting him we explained to the women who worked there that we were looking for an independent, laid back cat that wouldn't mind being by himself while we were at work during the day.  So we got Lou, and he meows constantly. We thought it would go away after a week or so once he got used to his new home. However the meowing has not ceased, and I feel that he is acting this way because he is not getting enough attention or stimulation during the day while we are gone. I'm not sure what to do, because I don't want to give him back, but I cannot change our schedule to accommodate this cat.  I've bought him toys, I play with him every evening when I get home, we have an aquarium that he shows no interest in, what else can I do?  The meows and demands are starting to wear on me. I've grown up with cats, never seen this.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I know 2 weeks can seem like a long time and he should be settled by now, but it can take cats much longer to adjust. Is he neutered?

First I'd try investing in a few feliway diffusers, these can help calm cats quite well, but do take about a week to get working in the environment. You may try too, investing in a cat tree, and/or window perches. Enriching his environment will make him feel more secure. Play is important, but the type of play is equally so. He is fairly young and should get a GOOD workout at least nightly. Use wand toy's, a laser, things that'll get him running and leaping. After play and just before bed, give him his last meal. He should be much quieter.

Hope some of these ideas help. Thank you so much for adopting him. Keep us posted on his progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hankandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was neutered at the shelter just before we brought him home. No other issues with him other than the meowing, and begging for food.  He is well fed, I'm trying not to over feed him because I think he's just eating out of nervousness or boredom.  I've never heard of the diffusers, maybe I'll give that a try. I will also try a laser pointer.  I hope he calms down because he really is a good cat, and he seems bright. Thanks for the advice!

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think what Katluver meant by feeding him just before bed was not feeding him more, but feeding him later.

If you exercise him and give him his evening meal late, he will feel satiated while he digests it and be more apt to be mellow and sleep off his meal when you guys are tired and near bedtime.

If you feed him early when you first get home, in a few hours, he's digested everything and is ready to rumble!

Also, is he perhaps part (or all) Siamese?  If so, some of it could be hereditary.