Don't pick me up!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
The title says it all - Wendel hates being picked up. He'll fight tooth and nail. This, of course, causes some issues since he's impossible to get into a crate unless you don't mind bleeding. If he's being stubborn, it's tricky to get him off things, the vet always has to burrito him, etc.

I've been working with him a bit and have gotten him to the point where I can put my hands on either side of him and hold him, but not pick him up. ANy ideas or should I just keep working with him to convince him that being picked up does not mean certain doom?

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dunno about cats much, since mine both are fine with being picked up, and one even encourages me to, but with rabbits, it's all about positive reinforcement. do very short sessions, just gently pick the cat up, and then set the cat down. give kitty a treat immediately after being set down, but only if cat does not fight or struggle. rinse and repeat. keep doing the pick up and set down until cat does not mind the short sessions, then gradually lengthen the time that the cat is held. every time the cat can be set down without fighting you, cat gets a treat. i'm sure there are others that are much much much much more knowledgeable about this, and whether this method works for cats (again, this is the method I used on my rabbits).