Don't Know What To Do (warning, a lil graphic)

celestia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The past few days my boyfriend has seen a kitten under the cars in our apartment parking lot. I wanted to try and catch it and bring it to a shelter, but he said it would be too hard and put us at risk of getting some sort of disease. Not to mention, it would put our pet cats in danger. So, we didn't do anything about it. Early today, we came home to see that the kitten had been hit. It was under one of the cars, and the driver didn't check under the car before backing out, and it was hit. It was pretty gruesome. You could see some of it's organs in it's abdomen. It was awful. I didn't want to just leave it there, but we didn't have a shovel or anything to pick it up with. My boyfriend took me inside (I was crying and very upset) and said that we would try to get ahold of the manager so that the maintenance man could take care of it. We were inside for a little while when the person assigned to park in that spot came home. I didn't look out the window or anything, but it sounded like they saw the cat and didn't know what to do so they slowly pulled into the parking spot... That's when I heard the meow. There was a long, quiet meow and it sounded painful. I told my boyfriend and he looked out the window. He said that the kitten's broken body had been completely crushed and wasn't held together anymore. The life had slowly been squeezed out of it... He wouldn't let me look. I felt awful. That poor little kitten had been sitting there, with awful trauma, not moving at all in the hot parking lot for hours in awful pain. We thought for sure it was dead, and we left it there... I feel sick that I didn't help it, or put it out of it's misery, or move it... But looking back I don't know what I would have done differently. I don't think either my boyfriend or I could have killed it, I wouldn't even know how to do it humanely. I have been crying about it all day.

But my real issue is that there is another kitten, and most likely more, from the same litter that is hanging around under the cars. I can't image having to see that happen again and I feel like I have to do something. My issue is that I have no idea what to do. I doubt that we could even catch the kitten. If we got close and it bit one of us and we had to get rabies shots that would be awful, not to mention my dad just lost his job, so I don't have insurance atm. And we would have to keep it in our apartment overnight; maybe even till Monday. I'm not sure if shelters are open on Sunday. I don't want to put my cats at risk of getting any diseases. I also don't know  how we would feed it in a cat carrier without getting bit. We technically never paid our pet deposit at our apartment, so my boyfriend doesn't want us to bring any attention to ourselves. He also said that the manager would never let us put out a trap for it. I have no idea what to do. I really don't want another little kitten to be tormented like that... 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about the kitten. Sadly outdoor cats don't live very long and are often injured by cars. There's nothing you can do about that, but you can try to help the other kitten or kittens before anything terrible happens to them. Call the Humane Society, Alley Cat Allies or the SPCA. They will help you trap the remaining kittens and take them to a shelter. You don't know if the manager will let you try to trap kittens or not until you ask him and I'm sure they'd much rather have the kittens removed and taken somewhere safe than have them running around the apartments and getting into accidents.

Good luck and thank you for caring.