Don't forget the "unadoptables"

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that was beautiful to read!

All those kitties pics you have posted are just as beautiful to me as a fluffy, 8 week old kitten!

With my shelter experiences, I have seen so many older cats, who because of unfortunate starts at life makes them undesirable to visitors, sit in their cages and quietly withdraw. But the amount of happiness seeing them finally get adopted almost makes it worthwhile. And personally, I enjoy a cat with a bit of character!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

I understand how you feel. I work with a rescue and we constantly get people emailing and calling asking if we can take their animals. The thing that bothers me is that so many people in rescues or other animal fields that are contacted about taking these animals refuse to take the animals because of the owners. They get mad at the owners for being so uncaring and turning their animals over like that, but we have to stop thinking of it this way. We have to think of the animals. I hate that the rescue I work with won't even pay attention to any of these calls. The animals need help! They're obviously living with owners who don't care enough about them to keep them any longer. If we turn them down, they might take them to the pound or dump them somewhere. I know it's hard to get older cats or cats with medical conditions adopted, but I hate when people turn their backs on these "unadoptables" because the owners are so stupid. Those people aren't going to change, but the animals still need help!
I agree but unfortunately with it being kitten season we have to put the stray cats first - who do we not help, the cat on the streets or one in a home who doesnt have the best owner but cat be all that bad if it lived to 8 there?

We have a very humane pound and while they are not no kill their euthanasia rate is low for animal control and they always call us to see if we have space before they do euthanise any animal that isnt feral or very sick.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I should have mentioned that Reggie actually found a home in two weeks (with a volunteer but he still found a home)

Sophie is still there but has calmed down some and is a declaw so gets some interest

These are my new adoptable 'unadoptables'

Amaretto

You can tell she is my kind of cat! POed all the time

Bambi & Thumper because they cant be separated

Bunny because she is an overgroomer and quite shy

This cutie, Moe, just because she is 8

Three or four black adults... just because they are black - they have amazing personalities but people dont seem to want to even see them

A white declaw, just under two, highly intelligent and very attentive but deaf

A siamese because she wont come out of her cage

So sad

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Sophie is a 7 y/o declawed female who even I can't get near, and I work with our less adoptable cats - a surrender

Reggie, a 10 year old declaw (although he is a sweet boy, his looks dont get him far and his weight is certainly an issue)
I would have taken Reggie in a heartbeat...we love us some funky kitties....If I could convince BF to let me adopt another kittie I want to adopt a senior kitty who could bond with Fatman in his own lazy way, Hercules and GiGi are inseperable...