Don't feed kitten for 48 hours ????????????????????

kittyissleeping

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found someone who posted the questions below. I don't know how to answer them. I can't see how this could be good advice.

my 6 month old kitten has had a touch of diarrhea for the past 2 days. he also threw up a few times! other than that he's been acting normal but we didn't want to risk anything so my dad brought him to the vet today. the vet gave him some shots and did some tests and said he has some sort of illness. i can't remember the name because it's so long but it's similar to irritable bowel syndrome. apparently 1 in 2 cats are born with it. he gave him an antibiotic and said he should be okay. the only thing is he told us not to feed him for 2 days and just to give him water. for some reason that just doesn't sit right with me. i have another 6 month old kitten and i feel so cruel feeding him and not the other. i've also googled lots of things and apparently kittens can get liver disease if they don't eat. so the real question is, should i risk it and just feed him? or just leave him alone for 2 days and only give him water? i hate hearing him cry for food and feeling helpless. please tell me what to do! i'm afraid he's going to hate me if i don't feed him! maybe i'm just being stupid and over exaggerating but the thought of hearing him cry for two days breaks my heart.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No chance wold I ever withhold food for 2 days. I'd get a second opinion and feed the kitty whilst waiting on that second opinion. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS :hugs:. I would find another vet, right away. NEVER stop feeding a kitten - that is unheard of. The vet should have given you some prescription food for the kitten like Hill's I/D or Hill's W/D both of which are easily digestible and will help with the diarrhea too. Please..... either call another vet and explain the situation and ask for that food. I would not use a vet that told me to withhold food from a kitten for 2 days :nono: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm a little confused. You read this somewhere? was it on this site? This isn't your cat?

Personally, I would go to another vet.

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I would need more info on why not food for 48 hours before I made a judgement about it I mean maybe the meds they gave the cat called for no food for 48 hours but thats a little much. I mean There is alot of stuff that could be a reason for the no food but with out the infromation from the actual person....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyissleeping

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's another person's cat from a webpage forum such as this. I didn't want to advise the person until I was sure, but 48 hrs without food, would keep me up at night, if I knew that I could find out it's validity. I don't have to answer the question, but I don't want to think about it for the next two days, if I could of prevented it on sound advice. I appreciate all the responses. Good lookin out.

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I would need more info on why not food for 48 hours before I made a judgement about it I mean maybe the meds they gave the cat called for no food for 48 hours but thats a little much. I mean There is alot of stuff that could be a reason for the no food but with out the infromation from the actual person....

to me, if that was the case, I'd expect my vet to keep the cat for observation for those 48 hours. cause cats like kids can find all kinds of things to ingest - most of which they shouldn't - if they get hungry enough. (dust, grass, hair, soap, etc)

I'd also suggest finding a new vet, and getting a prescription to some food that the cat can digest.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry - but I have never, ever heard of any medication calling for withholding food for 48 hours - or a vet recommending this. And, if that were the case - then a responsible vet would keep the cat in the clinic to put on IV fluids and medicate that way. I would strongly tell this person to find another vet.... asap. :nod:

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it's like when we think of an innocent cat suffering, we want to help somehow.

Just tell them, to find a new vet- keep feeding the baby, that's cruel to withhold food from any animal, unless they are under vet care and getting IV fluids etc and can't eat solid food.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is drinking then the best thing for runs is to withhold food for a day.  Mostly they get over it in that time, and an adult cat that is drinking would probably be fine for a couple of days.  Unless they are becoming dehydrated (easy to check by lifting their scruff) they don't need an IV, nor do they need the stress of being at the vets along with the possible risks of exposure to infection - after all, where are there sick cats?  At the vets.  And do cats have the equivalent of norovirus (winter vomitting)?  If they do then safely away from other cats is probably best unless the cat needs treatment that can't be given at home.

The OP here isn't the person whose cat is ill, we haven't had an update from the other forum (whatever it is) but people are busy saying the vet is wrong, change vets, change food, etc. etc. etc.

Best thing IMHO is if the OP posts us a link to the post the person who owns the cat made, unless of course it's a private forum.

Also, has she been back to check for updates there?

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to disagree orientalslave. Withholding food can be dangerous for a kitty. I have dealt with many cats with diarrhea and never withheld food and they have always gotten over the issue. I may eliminate wet food for a day or so but there would always be dry available.

And if withholding food for 2 days was a MUST, kitty would stay at the vet for that. I simply couldn't put a young cat through all of that. Or myself. Lol

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that 24 hours would be the absolute maximum to withhold food from a 6 month old kitten. But it is always dangerous to advise someone to go against specific vet advice. If at all possible the OP should seek a second professional opinion, when the vet can examine the kitten and take its medical history. Discussing it online without the necessary information is not good for anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyissleeping

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I found this site. You guys are great. I appreciate everyone sharing what they truly believe about the situation. I forwarded the info to the

other person.