Dominant breed of giant fluffy cats (brothers)?

amye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my two cats which I know are mostly mixed breeds, just curious if anyone knows what they most resemble!

They're both quite large (14-15 pounds) with medium length, super downy fur :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That will be Norwegian Forest Cat as the nearest look alike, with theirs straigh nose profile, triangularish muzzles, big size.  Also this coat pattern and colors are quite common with NFC.

I wouldnt even be much surprised if they were decently purebred, although not of show quality.

Do you know anything of their background?

Pretty boys!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, that's really interesting! They aren't quite as long haired as other pictures of NFCs I looked at, but I can see a resemblance!

I don't know anything about their background since they are shelter cats. I do remember the other kittens in the litter however looking much the same with varying degrees of black splotches on white. One of the kittens did have light brown splotches instead of black. We just picked the two ends of the color spectrum!

Here's a few more pictures to show their coloring/ fluffy bellies. They always lay on their backs

Last edited by a moderator:

amye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And here's a better picture of the white one's face profile:

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are lovely looking cats. That picture of the back and white one completely on his back is hilarious he looks so relaxed lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The white one can btw be called for a Van pattern. 

How to interprete the whole litter essentially in the same colors Im not sure about. It may be a strong indicium they are purebred, and by some reason surrended to the shelter. But for example, Van pattern is fairly  dominant, almost as dominant as tabby.  And thus females with such coloring as here above, gets quite often full litters of similiar coloring kittens - almost indenpendent of the tom.

amye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your input! I wish I know more about their background since you think they may be relatively close to the Norwegian forest cat! But as far as I know, they came to the shelter very young and very sick with fleas. No idea what happened to the mom.

amye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are lovely looking cats. That picture of the back and white one completely on his back is hilarious he looks so relaxed lol
He was completely asleep in that picture, and his fur was so hot from the fire. I can't imagine it's very comfortable, but he must like it since he gets on his back all the time!