Domesticating a Feral

pha516

Abbey & Bootsies mom
Kitten
Purraise
Hi: I am new here. I brought in a feral (Bootsie) 3 months ago that has been living on our porch for 8 years. I could not bear to see her go through another winter outside. She has allowed my son to pet her for years but is still skittish with myself and my husband. She started in the basement bathroom but now has full roam of the basement. She has made her way up the basement stairs. We put a screen at the top of the stairs to introduce my indoor cat to her. My indoor cat has come down to the basement a few times and they have come face to face. The feral is not scared of my cat because she has been around other cats but my cat is scared of the feral. Bootsie eats well, loves treats and has used the litter box right from the start. We had her vet checked when we first brought her in and everything checked out great. It has been a long process and continues to be for her to feel comfortable. She does not seem unhappy being inside although the other day we brought her back to the vet because her nails were getting very long and she kept getting caught on the carpet. When we brought her outside I could see how much she loved it. It bothers me at times that she is inside after living a life outside for all those but I have to remember that she is safe and does not have to fight the elements outside. I am hoping in the next few months that she will be living upstairs with us but this really takes patience. But she is worth it! The first picture is Abbey and the second picture is Bootsie the feral.

Attachments

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly a very warm welcome to the cat site.:welcomesign:

The good people here got me through bringing - not one - not two - but three Ferals inside within a three month period with a resident cat. Not to mention numerous illnesses and a lot of other things - so you came to the right place!

Good for you for bringing her in - she stands a much better chance for a longer life inside with you- but I know this guilt about "Are they happier outside." Sometimes I still wonder that myself - but I don't think so.

Two of them have adjusted like they were never outside. One has never lost her fear - but does well.

Patience will be key right now, but I think you know that. It's not only patience with the kitties but yourself as well. It will be a journey but you can do this and Boosite will absolutely be better for it in the long run.

PS (edit to add) they are lovely looking kitties and healthy looking! Good job!

:bouquet:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pha516

Abbey & Bootsies mom
Kitten
Purraise

The good people here got me through bringing - not one - not two - but three Ferals inside within a three month period with a resident cat. Not to mention numerous illnesses and a lot of other things - so you came to the right place!

Good for you for bringing her in - she stands a much better chance for a longer life inside with you- but I know this guilt about "Are they happier outside." Sometimes I still wonder that myself - but I don't think so.

Two of them have adjusted like they were never outside. One has never lost her fear - but does well.

Patience will be key right now, but I think you know that. It's not only patience with the kitties but yourself as well. It will be a journey but you can do this and Boosite will absolutely be better for it in the long run.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Wow...three ferals! That is a lot. I can definitely use some tips. She is adjusting well but sometimes it is like taking two steps forward and one step back. But I believe she has it in her to be a really nice loving cat.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Wow...three ferals! That is a lot. I can definitely use some tips.
I swear one or three - it would be the same LOL.

Best advice is to be kind to yourself, go slow and take the time.

Any questions - just ask us - if you feel like you are about to lose your mind - come on here and chat / vent. :-)

She is adjusting well but sometimes it is like taking two steps forward and one step back. But I believe she has it in her to be a really nice loving cat.
You got it exactly. It will absolutely feel and probably be two steps forward and one back. It's a process and like raising a child - no rulebook unfortunately.

It sounds to me like you are doing amazingly well! (Probably doesn't feel like it some days - but you really are!)