Domestic shorthair or marble bengal?

ameliavkn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work at a vet clinic, this little guy has been our clinic cat for about a year after one of our clients surrendered due to allergies. I recently adopted him myself, so he now lives with me and my Bernese Mountain Dog, they’re best friends. The clients that surrendered him said he’s a marble bengal, although a lot of people bring in DSH’s and call them bengals. I’m the only person at the clinic that doesn’t believe he’s a bengal. I think it’s his face structure that’s throwing me off, as every other characteristic he has is very bengal like. For instance, he is extremely vocal, constantly alert, his attention span is about 0.2 seconds, and he’s obsessed with water. He hangs out in the curtains when I shower, and as soon as you turn on a tap he comes running to see the water.

I’ve attached a picture from a bengal breeders website comparing the differences in dsh tabby’s and marble bengals.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, whatever he is, he cant be no purebred marbled bengal. Although its of course a difference between a show bengal such we see on photos, and the occasional pet quality bengal.

That said, its fully possible he has an Ancestor... Ex owner knew perhaps his momma was supposed to be a bengal? - More probably, she was herself a half bengal...

If this knowlege is important to you, there are test, that done by Uc Davies is counted as the most reliable.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be known as a DSH, Domestic Shorthair, without papers to prove his ancestery. He looks more like a mackeral tabby to me with the distinctive stripes, a classic tabby has more of a bulleye pattern on their sides. His head structure is wrong for a bengal, and they are much larger cats. They also must have the 'rosette' pattern in their coat, a circle of color within a circle, ywo tone, you can see them on the hindquarters of that marble bengal. He may have an ancestor somewhere in his background like mentioned above. That all being said, he is gorgeous! I love that he has such a personality too. you are so lucky to have him in your life!