Dollars for gold?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep seeing a commercial for "Dollars for Gold", where you package up your gold, silver or gem stone jewellery and send it to a company by snail mail and they then send you a cheque in payment.

Has anyone here used this type of service or know of anyone who has?

I'm not interested in using it because I don't have a great deal of gold jewellery (just my Mom's and Granny's wedding rings) but I'm interested to hear if that type of company is legit.

I can't imagine just sending my valuables to a company and blindly depending on them to send me fair market value for the gold.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those companies are all scams. If you give them a gold necklace that you could sell at a pawn shop for $400, you'll get a cheque for $100 if you're lucky. And if you try to give the money back for the jewelery, they will tell you they have already melted it down. So you're up a creek without a paddle.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Theres several companies advertising the same here in the UK, and people have started forums up saying their being ripped off.

The only good thing is that thair saying they'll return your gold after 7 days if your not happy with the cheque that you get, but i would avoid them.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year I sold some gold to www.usgoldbuyers.com and got the money in my paypal account within 24 hours. A lot of store front buyers are popping up all over my area; I took in more gold a couple months ago and got a (good) check on the spot. It's a good idea to investigate these companies and know the daily scrap gold prices before selling.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can't trust anyone these days; no way would I just mail my valuables to someone, assuming I would get fair compensation.

Which is why, if you mail them to me, I super-duper promise to pay you double what anyone else would. Seriously. I mean, I totally pinky-swear it.

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always wondered about these places too. I wouldnt trust them to give me ANY money let alone an appropriate amount. It is too bad too because i have a lot of jewlery that i dont even wear. I want the jewels but don't much like gold. (Unless it is white gold
) Still i wouldnt send this jewelry away not knowing if id ever get anything back.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of months ago, a "gold" buyer set up shop in a local hotel for a couple of days. I brought in 1 gold ring, 1 white gold wedding set with some tiny diamonds, 1 gold ring with 2 small diamonds and a nice size amethyst, 1 gold ring with 2 small diamonds and a nice sized blue zircon stone and a gold wedding band. They wouldn't take the gold band as they said it was gold plated, which I doubt. The rest the offered me $40! That was ridiculous! I think they were crooks! The pawn shop offered me more, (barely) and I didn't take them up on that one either. I would never send my gold to one of those shysters.