Dollar Store finds :)

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get my cleaning supplies at the Dollar General (it's just not as convenient now that we've moved or I would still go), but my best cat finds have been at Ocean State Job Lots...kitty condo, scratching posts, discount litter, purr pads (poly fiber pads that attract dander, etc...$15 at Petco, $5 at the Job lots!)

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

With art supplies, you get what you pay for. Cheap paint tend to not to last as long, spread or mix as well, and may even be a bit weak pigment wise. If you shop around you can get very nice acrylics on sale, and because they're better quality and usually thicker you use less (less coats of paint needed). If you every venture into water colors or oils, quality will definitely matter.

Brushes affect the quality of your work. Some types are better for specific paints. I've found that high quality sable brushes work best for water color for me, while synthetic bristles are fine for heavy acrylics. Cheap ones tend to fall apart or lose shape after a while. Again, look for sales.
Paper should be decent quality and the proper paper for what you're using it for.

Some of the other stuff you can cut corners on. I spend a little here and a little here and have acquired a large collection of paints, brushes, paper, and several other art supplies. I'm not even sure how many pads of paper I have now, but there's one for practically every media and size needed. I usually buy them for 40-50% off.
Well i've been using certain brands for many years now, and my canvas and brushes have been fine, i always wash my brushes and let them dry properly. One of the stores i go to is a variety store, and they sell EXACTLY the same brushes as i have seen at my local art supply store for 1/2 the price, also i don't do my sketches in really cheap books, i've found a good brand that is in the middle price range and it has done very well for me.

Like i said, i'm going to worry about it when i start Uni, no need worrying now if i've used these products for years and they've been for personal use.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't gone to a dollar store in quite a while, actually, but there's one we have around here called Deals and I have to make sure I don't carry a basket when I go in there otherwise I'll be tempted to buy alot more than I intended

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cleaning supplies/sponges
coffee filters
stationary
calendars
ibuprofen
cat food/water dishes
cat toys
awesome for holiday decorations
wrapping paper
cooking pans

....i know theres so much more i just cant think right now...i go once a week, theres so many things you can get there thats alot more money in a regular store.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to buy holiday supplies, gift wrap, stickers, stationary, hair barrettes, etc. I once bought a cat toy but Buster broke it within a matter of minutes. It was very poor quality.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just a word of caution about Dollar General. You can save money, but you better be aware of your grocery store's prices on stuff. I have found things actually priced at a $1 more at Dollar General.

For those that feed Friskies. This comes in big "loaf" boxes, if you don't mind fishy flavors or gravy types, you can usually average it out to around .33-.35 cents a can. Best prices for this are at Wal-Mart and Sam's.
Usually all the stuff I use is much more $ at Dollar General than Wal-Mart (which is just a 1/2 mile down the road). I've never seen Friskies cheaper at Dollar General. Cheapest is usually Petsmart/Petco on sale or at Wal-Mart.

I do love the Dollar Tree though. I try to stay away.
I've gotten cute toys and pet bowls there. And Toffifay.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

What have you found at the dollar store???
Some name-brand finds:

"Colgate" toothbrush
"Hanes" shirt

"Twin Dragon" almond cookies

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to the dollar store but not really for cat stuff...they have a ton of useful cheap items for the house though!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says I personally keep Dollar General in business!
In fact, he sometimes has to remind me that we DO have a Wal-Mart in the area. Some things are more at DG than Wal-Mart, but DG is also closer (15 min drive instead of 1/2 hour drive), and figuring in the aggravation caused by the stupid people that seem to live at Wal-Mart, DG is my store of choice.

I get as much as I can there...cleaning supplies, shampoo, medicine, kitty litter, litter boxes, canned goods, soda, I actually found a chicken chow mein dinner that is really good (once you spice it up a little) that is only $2.50. Not to mention candles, picture frames, etc....you know, the "I want it but do I NEED it" stuff.

It's funny. My aunt was in town last year and I said I had to run to the dollar store and she looked at me like "oh, you poor thing". I guess she thought it was like GoodWill (which I also shop at, thank you very much). When she saw I brought home name brands she was amazed.